Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warm weather hunting

Re: Warm weather hunting

What is the vinager for? keeping flies and bacteria away? what water to vinegar ratio do you use?

We go to the local ice arena(usually open during hunting season) with our utility trailer
    put a couple of feet of ice in it and lay our deer on top of the ice. It is a great way to
    keep meat nice and cold on those hot days and no bugs!

With a moose size animal I like to gut , quarter , hang and skin as quickly as possible. If there is a wind blowing and flies are not a problem I will wait towards evening to put on cheese cloth. If the flies are bad I will cheese cloth right away. I use water and vinagar to wipe the meat down as well , as far as I know the vinagar cuts the blood and cleans the meat better than water alone. This is part of the reason it will not attract as many flies. I also like to keep the hide and trimmings about 50 feet away it seems flies, wasps and even predators will work over a bloodly hide pile before worring about clean dry quarters. I carry enough supplies aside from vinagar in my day pack to do all this in the bush if it will take along time before I can return to get the animal out. Supplies needed to do this are enough rope to hang 4 quarters and lash up a pole. A hand saw and knives for gutting, quartering and skinning. Enough cheese cloth to cover 4 quarters. I also like to carry a tie down strap ( like you use to secure an atv or dirt bike to a truck). This will help you lift the quarters on your own easily. You just need to hook the buckle end to the pole and the strap end to the quarter you lift with one hand and take up slack with other in a rachetting motion until the quarter is a desired height now it can be tied off and the strap is used on the next one. Once a skinned animal has been left out over night it should be very cool and will last many days in cheese cloth if kept in the shade during day light. But in most cases a couple hour drive will get you to a cooler this is a small inconvenience that will be worth while and allow you to continue a hunt worry free. A shorter neck will help cool the fronts a bit quicker as well. A long neck will quite often spoil first because of the heat it retains, this goes for the front shoulders as well. You can take the the front leg off at the armpit or just slice most of it away to allow cool air to get there as well. A tarp roof to keep rain and dew off will also provide shade but keep it high enough the wind can still get to the meat. I hope this helps and good luck everyone on your up coming hunts.
    Mike
    Last edited by moose2; 08-23-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billygoat View Post
    What is the vinager for? keeping flies and bacteria away? what water to vinegar ratio do you use?
    I use about 4 water to one vinagar (20%) other people might use different amounts , but this works for me.

One night hanging in a heavily treed area or over a running creek ....then off to a meat cooler the next day!
    Last edited by Sooke Hunter; 08-24-2011 at 12:08 AM.

If it's hot, no amount of vinegar,black pepper, game bags etc are going to help you. You need to cool it down.

Lots of ways to do this, form sinking meat in snow to putting it into (open) plastic bags an immersing it into a creek, hanging it over a creek, etc.

We once did a 14 day horse trip with a moose killed on day5. Meat was in the plastic boxes and stood up in the creek. When we moved, meat got into the next creek, pronto.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quarter it (with no hyde) and ideally, bone it out.
    Don't sink it in the water exposed, you'll get that gross soft layer.
    Hanging it over a creek and/or under a bridge in the shade works as well as anything and is usually several degrees cooler than the mean temperature.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

buy an icecream truck or just go into town and take it to a place with a cooler
    im doing my first and last hunt in the junior season i've hunted later in the regular season before but i need to take a deer early in the season this year so the sept 1-9 is perfect for me... 3-18 is hot at this time of year.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

now what happens if you dont have access to a creek. Will hanging in the shade work well enough alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    now what happens if you dont have access to a creek. Will hanging in the shade work well enough alone?
    in high elevation yes, early September its cold over night