Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curiosity killed the buck

Curiosity killed the buck

Stuck an arrow in my first 4 point 45 minutes into opening morning.
    Hiked up into a bowl before first light.
    I bumped the first animal before light. A large dark figure let out a moo. Lol Then a bunch of his buddys started as well. Frig off cows.
    Adjusted my route to get away from them.
    Continued my path to the top of the bowl and sat waiting for the sun to rise.
    As the sun rose, I saw a buck at 180 yards and he saw me. I watched him watch me. He was curios what i was. The buck let out a big snort. I let one out back. The buck started moving towards me.He stopped again, i held dead still and he let out another snort so i did one back and he started moving again
    The wind was perfect. The buck dipped into a low point on the hill and i was able to make some ground on him.
    He showed himself at 30 yards again. This time, im sure he knew i wasnt a buck or a cow. He started moving across the bowl above me. Gave me an opportunity at 35 yards and i took the shot with my PSE Stinger 3g shooting 100 grain slick tricks and wacked him good.
    I heard the thwack, seen him react and bolt for the timber.
    I gave him time and hiked up to where he was hit.
    Right away seen lots of blood. Tracked the blood through the bowl and then the trail went down into a creek and across into the timber. He must have rested on the other side of this creek because the blood pool was massive in 1 spot. Determined the coffee was hitting me hard so dug in my pack, grabbed the TP and went for a 2 minute break. Got back at it and tracked him another 40 yards in the timber and there he lay, bound up in some deadfall.
    Gutted him and opened him up then hiked back to the truck to attempt to find my hunting partner with his daughter. Drove around, found them and we headed in to drag him out.
    My 4th buck total and my 2nd with archery.
    An interesting 4x2 coming in at 115lbs at the butcher.

Thats it for muley for me, 45 minutes into opening morning, unless i want to target blacktail in region 2.

Good luck out there everyone. Have a safe and productive season.

Last edited by Good2bCanadian; 09-08-2018 at 09:21 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Curiosity killed the buck

Nice!!! Sounds like time to go look for an elk!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Nice buck there, he looks like he is smiling for the camera.

cool story! good job!

Good one! Opening day archery is always exciting and the Bucks are usually curious during that time. I've had them follow me for hundreds of yards when doing gps work around PG in August. It would beep every minute or so and the Buck would flick its ears and jump after me staying about 30-40 yards away.

Nice buck!

Been toying with the idea of using an arrow in the early season but then I think, "Boy, my season ends quickly enough as it is without getting a deer before Sept. 10th."

Nice! Cool character on that guy!

I think my least favorite part of hunting is tagging out.... Congrats though beauty buck with a unique rack!

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Nice buck!

Been toying with the idea of using an arrow in the early season but then I think, "Boy, my season ends quickly enough as it is without getting a deer before Sept. 10th."
    The best way to ruin a good deer hunt is to shoot something.

The buck is changing hair into fall and has scraped off it's velvet already. Nice little muley 4 point buck for sure -- 4 point --
    Jel -- you did very good --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 09-08-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: MULE DEER are thee perfect wild animal in the world