Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A sporting first grouse hunt

Re: A sporting first grouse hunt

Quote Originally Posted by MillBay View Post
    "Personally I only shoot grouse over my spaniel with my 20 or 28 Ga.but thats a matter of choice"

What firepower said is the true sporting end of it, that being said, shooting a tasty legal grouse on a logging road and not blowing the crap out of it is not unsporting or unethical. I prefer it like firepower does but again that's my choice.
    3 "dog men" can't be wrong LOL what they said
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

"3 "dog men" can't be wrong LOL what they said"

All spaniel men to boot.

Id go with the shot gun. As has been said, as you sneek down the road and see a Fork standing right there you might want to shoot it!

Either gun would be considered sporting , each has its own advantages and challenges . If using a shotgun you will have to be within 20 yrds , that means you may have to stock up on the bird .
    Grouse do flush , but not unless youre right on top of them , usually that means you'll be totally unaware of it until it flushes in your face , you'll be more likely to crap yourself than get a shot off . That said a long barreled shot gun will be a handicap for flushed birds , but a short barrel will suck for popping the ones you see . Almost all the grouse I have taken have been at 20 to 40 yrds with a remmy 870 express mag {long barrel } improved cyllinder choke , with #4 shot .
    If you hunting on foot it is unlikely you'll see anything at all until you're fairly seasoned , so I really wouldn't worry about having an unfair advantage.
    I wouldn't totally right off road hunting with a vehicle for the first season or 2 , I've road hunted for my first couple seasons out of necessity , and covering so much ground in a day has been very educational , it has taught me what type of landscape to look for when hunting grouse , and what sections of my local fsrs they are likely to hang out in .
    There are very long sections of road that you won't see anything in , then you'll find a short section where an entire brood hangs out , 4 or 5 birds living in a hundred yrds.
    piece of advise , look for areas that look orange in the fall not green , and if you see rabbits you won't see grouse .
    I kill things and eat them.

"3 "dog men" can't be wrong LOL what they said"

All spaniel men to boot.
    SHHHHH don't want my Goldens to bite me at feeding time lol.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by new hunter View Post
    Either gun would be considered sporting , each has its own advantages and challenges . If using a shotgun you will have to be within 20 yrds , that means you may have to stock up on the bird .
    Grouse do flush , but not unless youre right on top of them , usually that means you'll be totally unaware of it until it flushes in your face , you'll be more likely to crap yourself than get a shot off . That said a long barreled shot gun will be a handicap for flushed birds , but a short barrel will suck for popping the ones you see . Almost all the grouse I have taken have been at 20 to 40 yrds with a remmy 870 express mag {long barrel } improved cyllinder choke , with #4 shot .
    If you hunting on foot it is unlikely you'll see anything at all until you're fairly seasoned , so I really wouldn't worry about having an unfair advantage.
    I wouldn't totally right off road hunting with a vehicle for the first season or 2 , I've road hunted for my first couple seasons out of necessity , and covering so much ground in a day has been very educational , it has taught me what type of landscape to look for when hunting grouse , and what sections of my local fsrs they are likely to hang out in .
    There are very long sections of road that you won't see anything in , then you'll find a short section where an entire brood hangs out , 4 or 5 birds living in a hundred yrds.
    piece of advise , look for areas that look orange in the fall not green , and if you see rabbits you won't see grouse .

Like NH says a shorter barrel makes for a way faster swing and you need it at times but my 2 guns of choice have 24 andd 26" barrels respectively and I'm good out to about 30 yds. so you dont have to be right on top of them and speaking from over 55 years as an upland shooter #4s?? way over kill IMO. I use a good field grade 6 or 7.5 and have used 8s and believe me they are more than adiquite and do a lot less damage. If for some un benounced reason you were using steel then maybe 5s but no bigger. Before the advent of the steel law we shot ducks with 5s and 6s and if there was a goose op at our blind 4s. so we wern't fumbeling to change shells at the criticle moment.
    Not sre about the rabbit thing I have flushed grouse and bolted dabbits within a few hundred yards of each other, guess no one told THEM lol.
    Last edited by FirePower; 08-10-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Just to add to FirePower's thing on shot size, it also depends on the type of grouse you are hunting. A big full grown blue at about 3 1/2 pounds don't get knocked down easily with 7 1/2 and 8 shot, where as for a ruff that works fine. Flying and standing also make a difference. I use 5's and 6's for blues.

Just to add to FirePower's thing on shot size, it also depends on the type of grouse you are hunting. A big full grown blue at about 3 1/2 pounds don't get knocked down easily with 7 1/2 and 8 shot, where as for a ruff that works fine. Flying and standing also make a difference. I use 5's and 6's for blues.
    I agree I use a good grade "high brass" #6 for blues and phesant. Works good in my Model 12 or Red Label I shoot the M12 Modified and the Red Label Mod/IC
    "BORN TO HUNT"

Well this is very enlightening to me too, but as I don't own a rifle I am going for head shots with my bow. Gonna miss a few, gonna get a few. 10 days to go!

I greatly appreciate all of the opinions and advice. I will likely end up trying both during the season as I get more familiar with the terrain and habits of the birds.
    Will let you know how things go.
    Cheers