Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A sporting first grouse hunt

Re: A sporting first grouse hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hayes View Post
    How can any one talk about shooting a sitting bird with any gun or rifle and claim it to be sporting. Game birds should be shot on the wing when flushed with an o/u or s by s a good shot can walk with a broken gun, hear or see the flush, get on the bird whilst closing the gun and mounting and take it with the first barrel. The second barrel is for shooting a brace ie a left and right
    in the case of our grouse that often flush behind branches or fly behind branches the trick is keep swinging through the bird and fire. Almost always shot will find a path through and kill the bird

and the only sporting way to fish for trout, is to have one rise to a dry, anything else is utterly barbaric...

I have an 18 month old lab that is a work in progress to say the least, and the times he was worked perfectly, it was a true delight to wing shoot grouse he flushed....but I will just as happily ground shoot grouse with a rimfire, the 100 yd head shots with my 17hmr make me smile just as much as the wing shot birds

Quote Originally Posted by NoahDawg View Post
    Good first post!

Considering most kids first kills are grouse, should we make sure we kick them into the air first, so they get discouraged when they miss ?

After all, it would be "sporting" this way.

I have absolutely no issue with shooting a grouse on the road- Ill take the easiest shot every time.

well,,,
    my first kill was a grouse shot on the wing with a 1912 pump 20ga that was put up by a Spaniel.... lol..... but that guy is pretty harsh lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hayes View Post
    How can any one talk about shooting a sitting bird with any gun or rifle and claim it to be sporting. Game birds should be shot on the wing when flushed with an o/u or s by s a good shot can walk with a broken gun, hear or see the flush, get on the bird whilst closing the gun and mounting and take it with the first barrel. The second barrel is for shooting a brace ie a left and right
    in the case of our grouse that often flush behind branches or fly behind branches the trick is keep swinging through the bird and fire. Almost always shot will find a path through and kill the bird
    I AM A WING SHOOTER AND A DOG MAN, when I hunt upland I do it over dogs with a shotgun I love it there is nothing like seeing your dog go birdy and watching with anticipation as it flushes a hard flying bird. I also shoot birds for camp meat on the ground with a 22. But as far as the above quote all I can say is when you ride a "high horse" its a long way to the ground when you fall.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    I AM A WING SHOOTER AND A DOG MAN, when I hunt upland I do it over dogs with a shotgun I love it there is nothing like seeing your dog go birdy and watching with anticipation as it flushes a hard flying bird. I also shoot birds for camp meat on the ground with a 22. But as far as the above quote all I can say is when you ride a "high horse" its a long way to the ground when you fall.
    Very well put. I really hate the hollier that though purists
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

I confess I am jerk! I have never wing shot a grouse or any other upland bird for that matter:
    I have never had the pleasure:
    Please forgive me
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

I must be a horrible person for only ever shooting them on the ground.

I've killed lots of grouse and rabbits in the same bush. Your best bet to see grouse is right before dark, they seem to come to the roads to eat gravel before they roost. I like to drive real slow with my head lights out, that way you cover more ground alot faster and you have a better chance of seeing them. I've always used a 22 to hunt chickens, because if you see a rabbit or a coyote you might want to lay them down to.
    '
    Heres to you, Heres to me, if theres a chance we don't agree, f**k you heres to me.