Thread: HBC Fall Big Game Contest 2011

Re: HBC Fall Big Game Contest 2011

Species: Van Isle Blacktail
    Date of Kill: Sept 25, 2011
    Region:1
    Weapon Used: Browning A Bolt Mt. TI 7mm WSM
    Category entered: Firearm
    Photo:

Figure I saw this buck on the 17th (the week before) but we were on the quad and visibility in the fog was about 40 yards. We came around the corner and there he was, about 40 yards away so 1 jump and he was gone. Went back the next week with my 9 year old son who was a trooper for the 40 minute bike ride in the pouring rain and then hiked in about 1 KM to where we had seen the buck before. Sure enough, there he was (wish it happened like that more often) only this time he had underestimated our sneakiness! Again only 40 or 50 yards away he saw me right away and started to rear back to take off but a snap shot right in the white patch put him down hard. A short but steep pack up to the road and an interesting ride back to the cabin with me, my boy and a 155 lb buck on the Yamaha BW 200 and all was good!
    Cheers, JP

Species: Rocky Mountain Elk
    Date of Kill: September 30, 2011
    Region: 8
    Weapon used: CZ 550 Lux in 30-06 with 180 grain TSX
    Category Entered: Firearm
    link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...n-8x7-bull-elk
    Photo:

Species:White tailed Deer
    Date of Kill: Sept. 17, 2011
    Region:4
    Weapon used:30-06 weatherby
    Category Entered:Youth
    (Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
    Photo:
    Story or link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...s-First-Whitey!

Species: Mule Deer
    Date of Kill: October 5, 2011
    Weapon used: Savage 111 .30-.06
    Photo:

Went for an early morning hunt this morning, despite feeling like crap and the pouring rain. Headed up King Eddy again for a look see, drove around for a couple of hours and saw nothing but cattle. Had pretty much given up because of the unrelenting rain, turned around to head out, drove maybe 100 feet and looked to my left to see this guy and his younger brother staring down at me from about 80 yards away. Got out and popped this guy in the neck, his buddy was curious enough to stay put and watch me gut him from 40 yards back.

Species: black bear
    Date of Kill: oct 4 2011
    Region: 5
    Weapon used: .243 cal
    Category Entered: firearms
    Story or link to story: not much of a story,we were driving down the road to are hunting spot as we past a cut block there was my bear about 50 yard from the road i baled out of the bronco 2 walked about 30' down the road and put one shot throw the bear with 243 throw both lung it run about 20' and was died,
    http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1318125383
    http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1318125511

Species: black bear
    Date of Kill: 11-10-04
    Region: 6-30
    Weapon used: 30.06
    Category Entered: firearms

Took this guy in the Kispiox river basin. right on 6' and near 300lb as a wild ass guess!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Hunter: Buckwheat (#1 PITB)
    Species: Black bear
    Date of Kill: Sept 24th
    Region: 8-05
    Weapon used: T3 in 7mm-08
    Category Entered: Youth

My son took his first bear of the year in the hills above Tulamean, the village is one bear safer!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Species: Columbia Black Tail
    Date of Kill: October 8th
    Region: 1
    Weapon used: .243 win.
    Category Entered: Youth
    Story or link to story:http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...960-Bucks-Down!
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

Species: Moose
    Date of Kill: Aug 15, 2011
    Region: 7
    Weapon used: Smith & Wesson 1500 - 300 WinMag
    Photo:

Story or link to story:

I was on my planned spot just before 5 AM, at about 6:00 I heard some activity in the bush, started to get excited but then nothing for about 15 minutes. As I began to relax, more noise to keep me alert and after 15 more minutes this fellow walked into the lick and stood nicely for a vitals shot from my 300 WinMag. After the shot, he jumped forward and turned towards me walking to within 20 feet, not seeing me at all. I knew it was a solid shot and he was going to bleed out in a minute or two but my need to put him down quickly got the best of me and I decided to shoot him in the head to put him out of his misery.

Well... that was probably not the best idea, the first shot to the head seemed to be a miss, no reaction from the big guy except to stand in front of me dripping gobs of blood from his mouth and nose and continuing to wobble on his feet. A second shot to the head quickly followed with a reaction from my quarry of slowly walking up hill angling away from me to a spot where he lay down.

I figured good, he is down and will die in a nice recovery spot.

Well, be damned if he didn't get up and start to slowly walk deeper into the bush. I waited for him to stop (seemed a long time but was probably only 30 seconds) his slow wobbly walk and when he did and turned his head slightly, aimed another at his brain cavity. He went down in a crash, kicking all fours and I walked over and cut his throat to ensure a good bleed. Blood gushed out in big clots from his windpipe as I did it so I knew the first shot was deadly and my impatience was just a waste of 3 shots.

It worked out that all shots connected, the first being a double lung and the head shots all on target but only one hitting brain. In retrospect I have always figured, no matter how close an animal is, that head shots are a bit dangerous as the kill zone is very small and a wounded moose/deer/elk with one in the head is going to suffer an agonizing death if the kill zone is missed. My "head" shots were all within an inch of my aim and only one would have dispatched the animal immediately, the other two would likely have been a day or two tracking job with a likely loss of the animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Species: White tail deer (4X3)
    date of kill: Sept 2nd, 2011
    weapon used: Savage .270 Win, 150 gr soft point bullets.
    Category entered: Youth
    Link to Story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...hite-tail-down!!!!!!
    "I have no vampire experience, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got there, it had turned back into my neighbor's Dog," Dwight Schrute.