Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hunt the 118 area in Alberta?

Anyone hunt the 118 area in Alberta?

My dad got drawn for a LEH mulie in the 118 area in Alberta and I was thinking of going to help him out. Does anyone know what the white tail hunting is like there and what the caliber of animals is like. I would like to pick up a white tail tag if it's worth it. Any info on hunting this area for either mule deer or white tails would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    BCBrez
    ~ If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~ Aristotle

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone hunt the 118 area in Alberta?

There are some really good mulie bucks in that area,I drew it last year but my hunter host was changing jobs and we couldn't go.It is a CWD reporting area and you must turn in your buck's head.You will have to cape out the head and you can remove the antler scullcap,but the rest of the head must be turned in to a depot.This is compulsary,you have no choice.There are some very good whitetails in the coulee bottoms but almost all of that is private land.Check with the local biologist(Medicine Hat maybe?),he should be able to help you out! Good luck to your Dad,Gunner
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Yes this is my back yard so to speak ( where I draw for mulies)
    Some not bad whites but not as big as farther north
    Is he an alberta resident or does his hunter host know the area?
    When are you coming out?

I can point you in a couple directions
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by bcbrez View Post
    My dad got drawn for a LEH mulie in the 118 area in Alberta and I was thinking of going to help him out. Does anyone know what the white tail hunting is like there and what the caliber of animals is like. I would like to pick up a white tail tag if it's worth it. Any info on hunting this area for either mule deer or white tails would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    BCBrez
    I've hunted 118 often.

You know what happens when you don't have a tag....

WT are usually isolated to the creek bottoms, especially where there is some cover. There are not many around, and they don't get to live long enough to grow up, a 140" buck is a very good one here. You will likely see more moose than WT.

MD have been hammered in 118 for the last 5 years. Trophy quality is way down. Of course there still are a few big bucks around. Most of the big guys have a sanctuary nearby.... the park, the border, or a deep hole well off the trails....

A lot of the land in 118 is public land under a grazing lease. You need to contact the leaseholder prior to accessing their lease. The leaseholder can only refuse access under very specific conditions. Most will say " No problem, just don't drive off the roads".

Here's a link for grazing lease contact information. Click "reconnect"

http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access

**** Make sure your Dad picks up a Cougar tag. This is the first year for cougar hunting on the prairie in Alberta. The area around Cypress Hills has the highest cougar density in North America. As I started this post....You know what happens when you don't have a tag....
    Last edited by Walking Buffalo; 07-28-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Here's a link for grazing lease contact information. Click "reconnect"

http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access

Couldn't get the link to work.

Thanks for the help so far guys it is helpfull.
    ~ If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~ Aristotle

I think the reason your link doesn't work is there's an underscore between rec_access, and with it underlined it's not showing up???
    As stated there's WT there, you may come across a big one, but you're more likely to walk within 10' of it and never see it. Walk the brush and pay attention. It's common(and hilarious) to watch, "tourists" (no insult intended) walking along and deer getting up 20' behind them and skulking away without being seen.
    There's lot's of hunting pressure on WT out here, and they ain't stupid. Walk the brush like you're hunting pheasant, keep your head on a swivel at all times and you'll do fine. It's very unlikely you'll shoot a wt buck that's not running.
    Have fun and best of luck.

I just tried the link, it is working....

No insults taken, I've hunted here Many times for over 25 years. You are right, these WT will hide in the tiniest patch of grass that is just a bit longer than the rest. I have literally kicked bucks out of their bed. That's a good analogy, hunt them like pheasants....

Size of deer, well that's subjective..... as long as it was a good hunt.

As an Albertan I have observed the "Wiley Whitetails" hold up. One year when Butcher was out and we were chasing some pockets of bush there was a small 3 point i observed holding up and after he walked through the little guy went out the way Butcher just came in. It was an educational moment for me as well but this little Buck knew if he took off across the open he could have been turfed.

Good Luck on your hunt Nick !! Your Buddy Greg and his gang should role through mid November the same time Srupp is here. Boy oh Boy is there gonna be some stories told on this hunt...

I have some land for you to hunt when you get here
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

looking forward to another Alberta dream hunt....always have a blast out east with this year a moose tag in the group....

cheers

Steven