Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimmers Tail

Swimmers Tail

I had my chocolate swimming yesterday and this morning she woke up with swimmers tail! This is her first time with it. She was pretty grumpy when she got up. She doesn't seem to be in too much pain, just won't lift her tail.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Swimmers Tail

Swimming dogs (especially Labs) manage to strain or pull the muscles at the base of their tails. The treatment is pain medication in the form of NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as Rimadyl and Metacam, and they get better.

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

What she said, I have used athrasin, an asa based artheritis pain releaver.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 07-26-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

My old chocloate Lab wagged so hard when I came home from my first surgery he gave himself swimmer's tail(a mild sprain). Some athrasin and he was soon fit as a fiddle. Gunner
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Thanks for the replies. Next time I head into the city I will be getting some meds for her because I imagine it will happen again as she loves to swim and I can't keep her out of the water.

I sometimes get swimmers nuts due to the cold water . Often they don't drop till I'm back 'round the campfire with a stiff Crown & Pepsi .
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by .300 R.U.M. Grizzly View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Next time I head into the city I will be getting some meds for her because I imagine it will happen again as she loves to swim and I can't keep her out of the water.
    Straight ASPRIN(ASA) will work in the mean time but NOT TYLONOL(ACETAMINOPHIN) it's poison to them.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Good call to be prepared! My guy got it last month and was miserable for a week. Wished I could have done more for him.

Make sure the dog rest up for a couple of weeks before you swim him again or you could possible agravate it again and make it cronic. My dog gets it every year usually because we hunt the fields hard all fall and only hit the water when things freeze up. Cold and unconditioned with lots of time spent in the water will trigger it. It can also be caused by cramped space for long durations. I've read that a dog that is cramped to long in a crate can also get bent tail or swimmers tail or limber tail.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Thanks Marc. I was thinking about taking her to the lake today, but will give her another week to rest up.