Thread: lyman lures

Threaded View

lyman lures

Anyone out there every use lyman lures to catch kokanee ? If so what color and size. I'm going to try it out # 1 size in pink.
    I used a # 4 plug in takla lake and it worked good for rainbow and char.
    UPDATE ON THE LYMAN LURES----- FEW DAYS LATER
    Morning, just thought you might want to know that Lyman plugs are great for catching Char, Rainbows and Eagles. That's right Bald Eagles. He was squawking at us from the top of a pine tree. I said to my buddy Bob-- THE NEXT FISH I CATCH I'M GOING TO FEED THAT SUCKER.-- Well I caught a fish in under a minute and was playing it out so I could bring it in. Half way to the boat that flying raptor left the tree, swooped down and grabbed my trout. Now that was about 2 1/2 lbs of fish, my Lyman plug and my line. I quickly turned up the drag and gave it a jerk, trying to pull my lyman plug free but no such luck. He started flying across the small bay and here I am holding my rod with this flying eagle kite flapping his wings and peeling out my line. I could just feel the power in every flap of those 6-7 foot wing span. My reel is just screaming and i'm running out of line- sure glad my wife bought me this really good reel- its was holding up well. Anyway, the Eagle is moving away and I said to Bob over the scream of the reel- I'm running out of line and it's going to snap. Sure as shit as soon as the reel stopped screaming--SNAP. But it was enough to send the big bird into a crash landing 10 feet off shore into the lake. He swims to shore and jumps up onto a dead pine tree overhanging into the lake. He still has the trout, the eagle looks at us than starts eating fish. Here I am holding my rod with no line on it shaking my head in disbelief. Bob says lets troll over their and see if we can get a hold of the fishing line, so off we go. We got pretty close to him as we are looking for line. The eagle decides he has had enough of us and flies away with the fish again. We did find the line and i put it back through the eyes on the rod and tied it back on the reel spool. I got all my line back , swivel and my Lyman plug, it was sitting in the grass . Bob and I had a good laugh and talked about our experience off and on for most of the day. We were going to take a video of the bird swooping down grabbing the fish but he did it before we were ready. Later in the day guess who comes for a visit? Mr. Eagle, He lets us know he is in the top of this pine tree, I have another fish on but this time I get it in before he can attack. I says to Bob - I'm going to feed this trout to the eagle--- Bonk on the head and I chuck him 15-20 feet out from the boat. What a dummy I am. Bob's doesn't even have his camera out yet. Well, that eagle jumps out of the tree and goes right into a dive, wings are in and out to get the right angle, legs and claws fully out and forward and he is a coming. Man is he big, 15 -20 feet from the boat he latches on to that 2-3 pound trout and starts flapping. Bob and I agree that this was the highlight of the day. We have never been so close to an Eagle in motion. O YA THE FISHING WAS AWESOME.
    moose hide
    Last edited by moose hide; 07-28-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: update

2. Site Sponsor