Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Training compromise

Re: Training compromise

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    not according to the test, He went on to talk about why 49 days is key. It is because the dogs brain has matured but has not been "Infected" by its self or surroundings yet.

New question: I have a dog with some bad habbits, goes squirrely in the blind and swims when im fishing. Yep my fault, no im not going to try too hard to fix him (Unless someone can tell me how to teach an old dog new tricks) But how much Bad habbit can be passed to a new pup from an older dog? Will a younger pup pick up bad habbit the same way as an old dog can teach a young one to hunt?
    In my experience pups learn tons from older dogs.

Both the good and the bad.

Want your pup to sit quietly while in the blind? Pair him with a quiet dog. Have a pup that is cautious around water? Get some adult dogs who LOVE the water and run pup with them.

When I had only one toller she learned fear nothing from the labs I was running her with....but it became way harder to control her in the blind when the other dogs were breaking....to the point that I no longer even try with her.

I don't take her hunting with my younger dog, who is great, because it is a constant battle of wills between her and I.

My getting on the older "bad" dog's case constantly also affects the younger "good" dog's attitude and behavior in a negative way.

Quote Originally Posted by kasomor View Post
    in my experience pups learn tons from older dogs.

both the good and the bad.

want your pup to sit quietly while in the blind? Pair him with a quiet dog. Have a pup that is cautious around water? Get some adult dogs who love the water and run pup with them.

When i had only one toller she learned fear nothing from the labs i was running her with....but it became way harder to control her in the blind when the other dogs were breaking....to the point that i no longer even try with her.

I don't take her hunting with my younger dog, who is great, because it is a constant battle of wills between her and i.

My getting on the older "bad" dog's case constantly also affects the younger "good" dog's attitude and behavior in a negative way.

Take it to the bank!! Solid gold advice!!
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    In my experience pups learn tons from older dogs.

Both the good and the bad.

Want your pup to sit quietly while in the blind? Pair him with a quiet dog. Have a pup that is cautious around water? Get some adult dogs who LOVE the water and run pup with them.

When I had only one toller she learned fear nothing from the labs I was running her with....but it became way harder to control her in the blind when the other dogs were breaking....to the point that I no longer even try with her.

I don't take her hunting with my younger dog, who is great, because it is a constant battle of wills between her and I.

That is pretty much the exact response i was expecting.
    The thing is, i have come to terms with Chase. He is way too strong headed for me. So i just deal with the bad. May be it is best for me to just wait till i cannot hunt Chase and cannot take him to the river just to insure the new dog does not pick up the bad. As well my trying harder on the next dog. Although truely i did not know the extent of what i was gettin into with him. Dont get me wrong he is a good dog just not the best dog and i consider myself a good dog owner but not the best trainer.

Next question,
    Given what i have explained about my dog, and the fact i think i should wait to get a new dog until Chase is old. How old is too old to place a pup with a old dog? Should i wait untill Chase passes? Just to start fresh. I dont want to over work Chase when he is old, having to defend himself from the little terror.
    I wont be leaving myself without a gundog because Piper is young and will be around long after Chaser.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    That is pretty much the exact response i was expecting.
    The thing is, i have come to terms with Chase. He is way too strong headed for me. So i just deal with the bad. May be it is best for me to just wait till i cannot hunt Chase and cannot take him to the river just to insure the new dog does not pick up the bad. As well my trying harder on the next dog. Although truly i did not know the extent of what i was getting into with him. Dint get me wrong he is a good dog just not the best dog and i consider myself a good dog owner but not the best trainer.

Next question,
    Given what i have explained about my dog, and the fact i think i should wait to get a new dog until Chase is old. How old is too old to place a pup with a old dog? Should i wait until Chase passes? Just to start fresh. I don't want to over work Chase when he is old, having to defend himself from the little terror.
    I wont be leaving myself without a gundog because Piper is young and will be around long after Chaser.
    My hunting partner and I have 4 dogs between us that we hunt with. We rotate dogs instead of banging our heads against the wall with three of them cause it use to be a Gong Show. I have high standards with my youngest and she is not allowed to do the sh** that we let the others get away with.

We stopped running the youngster with them when she started picking up on the bad habits of the others but they taught her tons of good stuff too up till that point. I wouldn't change anything about that.

It is what it is and it works for us.

Whether to get another dog before Chase goes is a personal decision. I like 4 years between dogs and I can comfortably manage three dogs.They are all in different life stages/ training stages then.

I have the time to work each dog individually as well. If you don't have the time to work the youngster separately then it probably is not a good idea. Yet on the other hand, a pup will add years to Chase's life if you get pup at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    My hunting partner and I have 4 dogs between us that we hunt with. We rotate dogs instead of banging our heads against the wall with three of them cause it use to be a Gong Show. I have high standards with my youngest and she is not allowed to do the sh** that we let the others get away with.

Thats just the sort of thing. As Foxton knows i have a large history of Springers as Gun Dogs. My family was big in the Upland hunting on the island back when it was good. They did it with Springers. That is why i asked, the guys used to hunt the dogs on rotation. My uncle Rob used to always have 2 Girls, and the old dog would hunt the first day and the young one both. So,,, What i do want to do is start this but i want to do it with a good dog first up. I think if i start this with Chase i may start bad, My unlce was better with dogs

The bit about a pup adding years to Chase's life i do belive as well. It would keep him working rather than lazing around. This time i had in my head as 7. I may be wrong with that but its what i thought.

Dru my take would be there is SOME good Chase can teach a pup and you know what that is just dont put them together in the bad situations and you have the davantage being where you are of hooking up with a pretty darn good spaniel man (who I mentioned to you) for training sessions and help. Kas has pretty much said it all, All I can ad is use your dog where he will help and not where he will hurt. Go to the outside resorces likeyour dads dog and my friends Polly-dog for help you will be fine.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by foxton gundogs View Post
    dru my take would be there is some good chase can teach a pup and you know what that is just dont put them together in the bad situations and you have the davantage being where you are of hooking up with a pretty darn good spaniel man (who i mentioned to you) for training sessions and help. Kas has pretty much said it all, all i can ad is use your dog where he will help and not where he will hurt. Go to the outside resorces likeyour dads dog and my friends polly-dog for help you will be fine.
    x 2...........

Thanks guys,
    I think im out of questions

OHHH NOOOO....... You should never be "Out of questions" just consider it contemplating the matter some more. LMFatAO
    "BORN TO HUNT"

its funny, i have thought of a couple good ones while i was fishing. Too bad i was nowhere near a computer.