Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now that's what I call a wolf!

bone-collector Guest
    well theres no lack of them up there sniper I can garentee you that , dam things are killing off moose left right and center up were we guide, about half way between ft nelson and ft st john , straight north

Hey Bone-collector any tips on finding these puppies or drawing them out for a shot? If I get my Elk I'm going to spend the rest of my time hunting wolves hopefully I can take a couple off a gut pile if somebody bags their Elk. What about sitting ina tree stand 100yds off the gut pile and letting out the occasional howl?

bone-collector Guest
    that is 1 good way to get them yes another we found was quite successfull up there is if you have a river near by, canoe it, just sit back and drift it, we have had great luck in the morning catching them on the beach sunning themselves, another good lure it watch for a moose they have been chasing (and there lots of them up there) the tree stand would be a realy good plan and I would go with it, but remember up in that country the dogs are the least of your worries about comming to a gutpile, put in for a grizz draw there to if possible (its illegal to bait them I know but theres no shortage of the buggers up in that country)

looking at that pic-- i'd say that man is standing a good 10 ft or more behind the animal to skew the perspective. I don't see his feet on the snow and you can't see where the wolf is tied to.

I tried that old trick years ago as a lad with a fish i caught - hung it with fishing line off the cloathsline outside grandads, and stepped back and 'pretended' to be holding it up. The thing looked near as big as I was. Grandad was a little too sly for me to get away with saying i caught what appeard to be about 100 lb fish, but it still looked good

Nah, I'd say one foot is right beside the rifle's butt, clearly on the snow. The snowline on the ground is even with the dog, his foot and rifle. Dog's feet are tied with rope which runs behind the post on the left, and the beast is hung with rope of course tied off to the wall. Dude is under this rope, no way is he anywhere's but directly behind that wolf. Interesting point I always judge photo's by is the relationship of the length of the rifle butt, to the animal, and to the person. About 13-14" from butt to trigger on most rifles. A lot of rifles are what, 38-46" long? Some guys are pretty small, or have some hugely insane rifle lengths in a lot of trophy photo's I see....

Could be, could be. My monitor may just be showing slightly different contrast, but i'm not entirely convinced yet. I still think he's a little further back from the wolf than he looks at first glance - but i could be dead wrong too.

I generally use the barrel if it's visible - you can usually tell if it's a 22 or 24 - and you're probably within two inches or so. If he is indeed standing close to the animal, thats a little over 4 ft and change, stern to snout (not including the tail). That's a good sized wolf

Not sure why anyone would pose(hunched over) like that beside a large wolf, Ive yet to see one in the wild, but i was in the Yukon(Haines Junction- 199fighting forest fires & we were folloing tracks(wolf) which were embedded in the ash & they were the size of my hand, we never saw the wolves but they made their presence known by howling , I'm sure they were never more than 300yds in front of us, I doubt the wolf was 300lbs, but one of the local native elders who was working with our crew was impressed.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost