Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Training Question

Re: Training Question

OK, ok, ok, gotta interject here and then I will go back and be a looky lou and learn by all that have posted. I am by no means new to this site and not for a long, long, time have I read posts where it seems all participants are as knowledable as this, and most of all for me POLITE, it's a breath of fresh air around here to read everybodys posts and not read where one person is putting down another person because of their beliefs. Everybody is entitled to build the dog they want and everybody has an opinion as expressed. Keep up the good thread, keep it coming, and let us looky lou's enjoy the read and learn from all...........

Re: Training Question

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Some day on a new thread this is exactly something i would like to discuss. As politly as possible of course
    Because i dont think you are right. But i do admit i am no Expert, I just have an opinion. And opinions can be changed under the right education.

The trouble is, people have to put down the passion and explain them selves. I find And i mean no harm with this but you Competition guys are pretty head strong kinda like me.
    I totally agrre with you 835. Unarguably the basics are the same but what a hunter and a trialer demands from their dogs is 2 diffrent things as are the dog personality types they choose although I do not agree with the wording jimsue chose "if their dogs were BETTER" I do agree with the fundemental sentiment. I have seen it over again where a great hunting dog would never make it in the world of trialing and vice a versa. The hunter may not have the TYPE of drive required for trial work But by the same token the trial dog in it's "speed and drive to win" probably won' t hold up to a full day of work in the field. And this is not a matter of ability or conditioning its the sprinter vs the merithoner scenerio. I was once told by one of the best Spaniel men I have ever known that a Field Trial Dog is a schollar good at studdy and passing quizes a Gun Dog is a student of the school of hard knocks good at their job in the work-a-day world. Both have the same "highschool" education but tats where the path splits.
    All that being said I have known some great field trial dogs CNFC Sherwoods Ace In The Hole and CNFC Winmillwood Storm who had great 2nd careers as alround gundogs. It is definately easier to slow a dog down than speed it up but not all dogs make that transition.
    Last edited by FirePower; 07-11-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!