Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Tuning Drop Away - Trophy Taker Smackdown

Re: Help Tuning Drop Away - Trophy Taker Smackdown

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    Ok, that makes more sense. I would tighten (shorten) your draw cord a bit at a time until the bow is most of the way drawn before the rest activates, should fix your problem. Easiest way to do this would be to unhook the cord and twist it 5 turns or so then try again, keep doing this until you get the drop timing you need. If the problem persists then I would look at the nock travel, but i suspect this will fix your problem.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Chris's comments about the cord made me wonder if both ends of the cord are tight and secure. Simple thing to have loosen up on you, and it would have a definite affect on the arrow rest.

No it doesn't work that way with that type of rest, not like one that attaches to the downcable, it works totally opposite of a conventional drop away. The rest is held down by the upcable at rest. As the bow is drawn the launcher comes up (by the spring power) since the tension is off the cord, this happens in the first inch or two of draw....and thus will not start to fall until the last inch or so of upcable moving downward. I can't make it rise any later.
    If there is any slack in the cord the launcher sits up and will not drop fully, that was when it was tearing vanes off at release. With the cord tight the rest sits down, I tried it a little tight as well as really really tight and it doesn't change things
    I believe the problem is due to the short brace height, if the bh was 7" there would be 2" between the time the launcher fully fell and the arrow passed and that would allow clearance. With only 5" this space isn't there and the arrow is passing over the launcher just as the bowstring finishes the forward travel. (Did I explain that well? )
    All the good lines are already taken

that makes perfect sense Brad ... hence the reason why I am not a big fan of those style of rests on any parralell limb bow .... very little movement untill the very end of the shot cycle ....they would be no problem on a short brace .. recurve style bow (think Hoyt Super or Turbo Tec) as those limbs each have a good 4" movement on the end from relax to full draw.

even tho I just ordered a another trophy taker original for my Pure (to match the one on my Diamond) I really like the Ripcord Code Red rests ... where they are set and when you draw they flip a cog internally and held up while at draw .... when its let go it drops and stays dropped (no bounce) withing 3" of arrow travel
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    that makes perfect sense Brad ... hence the reason why I am not a big fan of those style of rests on any parralell limb bow .... very little movement untill the very end of the shot cycle ....they would be no problem on a short brace .. recurve style bow (think Hoyt Super or Turbo Tec) as those limbs each have a good 4" movement on the end from relax to full draw.

even tho I just ordered a another trophy taker original for my Pure (to match the one on my Diamond) I really like the Ripcord Code Red rests ... where they are set and when you draw they flip a cog internally and held up while at draw .... when its let go it drops and stays dropped (no bounce) withing 3" of arrow travel
    The Ripcord Red went on and tuned really fast and easily. I am impressed and will keep it on my bow.
    I saw somewhere that a spring from a RH rest can be used to turn my LH Smackdown into a standard style rest, that might be the easiest fix. The rest is well made and has a lot of really good features, just didn't work for my brain and and bow setup.

Cheers
    Last edited by Ike; 07-12-2011 at 08:18 PM.

I think it had/has more to do with arrow spine than brace height, (fletching clearance). Although the combination of the two was detrimental to optimal flight. If you had optimal spine, you would have known for sure if there was fletch contact because of brace height which would have been an easy fix with shorter fletch. However, once you loose confidence in something, it is very difficult to overcome the anxiety that you experienced with it.
    It would still pick my arse that I couldn't figure it out though!

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I think it had/has more to do with arrow spine than brace height, (fletching clearance). Although the combination of the two was detrimental to optimal flight. If you had optimal spine, you would have known for sure if there was fletch contact because of brace height which would have been an easy fix with shorter fletch. However, once you loose confidence in something, it is very difficult to overcome the anxiety that you experienced with it.
    It would still pick my arse that I couldn't figure it out though!
    LOL!Yeah it is a bit annoying for sure. I think if I had more time to mess around with it, and earlier access to stiffer spined arrows and rest I would have tried more things/ Unfortunately I only received the Ripcord and arrows on Friday night, and after shooting badly all day Saturday I just wanted my bow to work. Saturday night in the middle of the shoot didn't leave me a lot of time to mess around with different options anyway. I do agree that spine was likely an additional factor.
    Given the initial problems I had with the rest last year I didn't give it a fair shake as I should have. I'll keep it in a box and maybe one day take the time to play with it some more and figure it out.

Cheers

Bow Walker Guest

Sounds like the best place for that rest ("I'll keep it in a box"). I feel your frustration and know that you'll have confidence issues with that rest, even though you might get i t working on that bow. It seems to me that the ability to adapt to any bow should be something that any rest should be capable of doing, and doing well.

Reverse-action rests like that one are just asking for problems, especially on such short limbed bows as the PSE speed bows. New rest = problem solved.