Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Tuning Drop Away - Trophy Taker Smackdown

Re: Help Tuning Drop Away - Trophy Taker Smackdown

I will try raising the nock point a bit and see if that helps.
    Results to follow.
    Cheers
    All the good lines are already taken

Limb driver attaches to the top limb. This one attaches to the bottom limb.
    It should start to rise as soon as the bow is drawn as the spring should lift it up. Something doesn't add up.

The bow is a twin cam and in time
    A bow can be in time and still have nock travel issues. If both cams are slightly advanced or ******ed but still in time with one another you may have nock travel issues. Kind of hard to explain, sorry but the more info you supply the more I am thinking this may not be the issue.

the problem is the launcher only comes up within the last inch or less of arrow travel.....and conversely starts to fall within the last inch or less when released.....too close and I need to find a way to make it rise/fall sooner.
    Strange that it falls at a different point than it raises up. As the limb flexes in during the draw cycle the tension is taken off the cord allowing the rest to rise, conversely as the limb flexes back out during the shot the rest should be activated when the limb passes the same point that made it rise.......hmmmmm, this ones a bit of a head scratcher!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    A bow can be in time and still have nock travel issues. If both cams are slightly advanced or ******ed but still in time with one another you may have nock travel issues. Kind of hard to explain, sorry but the more info you supply the more I am thinking this may not be the issue.

I am still learning about this stuff. I haven't messed with it ....that said I will have to ask in another thread about a good source of info on how to tune a bow so I don't mess it up

Strange that it falls at a different point than it raises up. As the limb flexes in during the draw cycle the tension is taken off the cord allowing the rest to rise, conversely as the limb flexes back out during the shot the rest should be activated when the limb passes the same point that made it rise.......hmmmmm, this ones a bit of a head scratcher!

That was my mistake, I meant to say the launcher rises up in the first inch or less of draw and falls in the last inch or less. I have corrected the initial post.

Chris
    Response above in post.
    I probably fall into that catagory where I know enough to be dangeruous and get things 85% of the way but have yet to learn the fine points of tuning and setup to get that final 15% proper. I have a real interest and will learn this stuff eventually.

Thanks and Cheers

deleted....(double tap)
    Last edited by Ike; 07-04-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: double tap

Ok, that makes more sense. I would tighten (shorten) your draw cord a bit at a time until the bow is most of the way drawn before the rest activates, should fix your problem. Easiest way to do this would be to unhook the cord and twist it 5 turns or so then try again, keep doing this until you get the drop timing you need. If the problem persists then I would look at the nock travel, but i suspect this will fix your problem.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Hi all,
    I started to work on raising the nocking point last night but with no immediate change I put it back into place and have decided to leave it alone until after next weekend's match since I don't want to break something like I am apt to do.

I am getting really comfortable with the King Cobra now. I had an unexpected Robin Hood with my first two arrows at 40yards (hate it when that happens) and then arrows touching (sometimes) out to 50 so I think I will live with the vane contact for next weekend since it seems to be consistent at least, and work on it again after then with some stiffer spined arrows and more time.
    (Note to self - no more group shooting)

Thanks for all of your help so far
    Cheers

Bow Walker Guest

That's the ticket - patience, and trying just one thing at a time. Eliminate what doesn't affect the problem and what's left will be your solution.

UPDATE:
    I tried the Smackdown at the Williams Lake shoot, unfortunately with dismal results. Rather than mess with it Saturday night I swapped it out for a Ripcord Red rest and stiffer 350 spine arrows, what a difference!!
    It was so much better, there is absolutely no contact with the Ripcord Red and the stiffer arrows flew straight and true. I didn't try the .400s so am not sure if they contributed to the problem or not.... at that time I was not into troubleshooting. Sunday's score increased 35 points, I didn't shoot the lights out but I shot to my ability (unlike Saturday).

I took a close look and have some theories which I will explore; one having to do with the 5" brace height and the fact that my blazers are hitting the launcher when the arrow is nocked and the rest held up, meaning there really isn't enough brace height with my arrow setup to allow the necessary clearance.....but I will look more into that later and discuss with Trophy Taker. The TT rest is a great product that I could probably get to work with some modification and tweaking, I think on a longer bh bow it would work no problem.

Thanks for the input and Cheers

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    Ok, that makes more sense. I would tighten (shorten) your draw cord a bit at a time until the bow is most of the way drawn before the rest activates, should fix your problem. Easiest way to do this would be to unhook the cord and twist it 5 turns or so then try again, keep doing this until you get the drop timing you need. If the problem persists then I would look at the nock travel, but i suspect this will fix your problem.

Chris
    Chris's comments about the cord made me wonder if both ends of the cord are tight and secure. Simple thing to have loosen up on you, and it would have a definite affect on the arrow rest.