Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Tuning Drop Away - Trophy Taker Smackdown

Help Tuning Drop Away - Trophy Taker Smackdown

Hi Folks,

I am trying to tune a Trophy Taker Smackdown but cannot make the launcher fall fast enough. I am getting fletching contact (black marks from the launcher on the blazers)

The Smackdown works like the Limbdriver -it is opposite spring action than most fall aways. (The spring action lifts the launcher, and the string attaches to the upcable or the bottom limb and pulls the launcher down by the movement of the cable or limb as the bow fires.) I tried both cable and limb attachment witout luck, I also moved the internal spring location to take some tension out - that reduced but has not eliminated the problem.

Appreciate any help or suggestions, I am about ready to turf it which would be a shame because it is a great rest. Limbdriver should be the same approach.
    Cheers
    All the good lines are already taken

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Help Tuning Drop Away - Trophy Taker Smackdown

Although I am not familiar with the smackdown I do have the Limb driver that works really well for me.. Same principal for both.
    Found this on you tube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXIt0igXLG4

If you follow these directions should be no problem. Looks really simple. Try turning cock feather up. Is your nocking point\d-loop too low? if so this causes tail low departure and probably causes contact with the arm of the smackdown even at it's lowest..
    Try paper tune or walk back yet?

Don't know if this is relevant but I always shoot with cock feather up with my drop away as do everyone else I know. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Hi folks,
    I forgot to mention that I am shooting cock vane up, the arrow markings are on the bootom of the two hen vanes as they ride over the launcher prongs. Is there a way to make the Limbdriver, Smackdown design fall sooner? It is basically the opposite design of a standard drop away - the launcher is up at full draw by its own spring tension and the limb pulls the launcher down as the bow is fired.

Bow has been walkback tuned is set up slightly nock high, I could/will try a little higher but I need to make the launcher clear at least an two or three inches sooner....that's a fair bit more than I think I will get from raising the nock set a bit.

Thanks and Cheers

could be a nock travel issue......pretty hard to check without a draw board though. Have someone look at the arrow to see how it sits bofre you draw, then have them watch as you slowly draw the bow and watch to see if the nock end seems to climb higher as you draw. Basically looking to see if the arrow is more nock high at full draw then it is pre-draw. How it sits in relation to the cable rod in both positions can give you a good visual comparison. If you have downward nock travel it will drive the nock end of the arrow down as it comes off the string. Can easily be fixed on a dual cam bow by adjusting the cam timing....can be a little trickier on a solocam. What kind of bow? Dual cam, solocam???

If that all looks ok the cable length on limbdriver style rests should be short enough that the launcher only reaches its full height in the last couple inches of draw, same idea as a conventional drop-away. Wherever it lifts to full height as you draw is where it will fall as the string comes forward....the closer you make that spot to full draw, the sooner it will get out of the way, the arrow only needs support for the first few inches of the shot.

Hope this helps
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

On this rest as soon as you take tension off the driver cable the rest lifts into position by a spring and dropped by the control cable or limb.. opposite to conventional where the control cable lifts the rest into position and the spring drops the rest when the arrow is released.
    I'm thinking more cam timing or arrow spine. Spine first.. although even a new bow can have issues.

Bow Walker Guest

Wow, what a hassle. You gotta ask yourself - 'is it worth the hassle?'

I'd be thinking seriously of changing rests.

Wow lots of good comments thanks,

The bow is a twin cam and in time, the problem is the launcher comes up within the first inch or less of arrow travel.....and conversely starts to fall within the last inch or less when released.....too close and I need to find a way to make it rise/fall sooner.

Bow Walker I agree and it was originally meant for my X-force but I ended up switching to a G5 rest for the same reasons. When I got this new bow it seemed a shame to have a 'perfectly good' unused rest (and it is a nice rest BTW) so I tried it again on the King Cobra. Unfortaunately I seem to be missing something in the details and am going to switch to a Ripcord Red (probably should have just done that from the start and let the shop install and set up the ripcord for me).

I will try stiffer spined arrows as well out of curiosity. Right now I am shooting 27.5" dl, 26.75" arrows (.400 spine with 85 grain points) and 62#.

The Smackdown is a really nice rest and I wanted to make it work, it will likely work perfectly on a different bow.

Cheers
    Last edited by Ike; 07-04-2011 at 10:51 AM.

I am with Chris...... I would look at cam timing and nock height first ...

you might tear nock high but i am willing to bet that the only reason for that is the fact you are hitting the rest on the way out
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Wow lots of good comments thanks,

The bow is a twin cam and in time, the problem is the launcher only comes up within the last inch or less of arrow travel.....and conversely starts to fall within the last inch or less when released.....too close and I need to find a way to make it rise/fall sooner.

Bow Walker I agree and it was originally meant for my X-force but I ended up switching to a G5 rest for the same reasons. When I got this new bow it seemed a shame to have a 'perfectly good' unused rest (and it is a nice rest BTW) so I tried it again on the King Cobra. Unfortaunately I seem to be missing something in the details and am going to switch to a Ripcord Red (probably should have just done that from the start and let the shop install and set up the ripcord for me)........
    That sounds to me like an issue with the attachment cord length or where the cord is actually attached to either the limb or the cable. Are you sure that the cord is tightened up enough?