Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Otter bit my dog!

Re: An Otter bit my dog!

throw a couple of dead fish in a crab trap throw the trap into your pond, problem solved let me no if you need a good taxidermist.

Lets see some pictures... back when I fished a lot, I've had otters slip right into the boat and steal my hard won salmon!! Whacked one with a paddle one day and the fricken thing bluff charged me before jumping over board and right back over thetransom and into the boat again... didn't leave till I started the engine!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by fearless View Post
    throw a couple of dead fish in a crab trap throw the trap into your pond, problem solved let me no if you need a good taxidermist.
    Well played!
    Twist and pull.

If it longish and weasel like it will be vicious. Fun and cute to watch but thats about it.

well, I didn't see him last night or this morning. He's either moved on, or is hiding in the old muskrat den.
    After talking to another person who lives on the property, it sounds like he's been here for at least a week. They just didn't know what it was.
    Regardless, he's unwelcome in the pond. For his sake, I hope he moves on.

Get an Airedale terrier.

Actually, it's a good thing your dog didn't get seriously wounded. Otters mess up dogs really bad. Hopefully he has moved on by now.

Bow fishing??

My pooch was swimming after a mother otter and her kits last Summer on a Gulf Island. I wasn't there but a woman on the beach later told me the story: " You know that your dog just got bit in the ass by an otter?" ( my dog often wanders down to the local beach as it's more exciting than watching me work). Apparently, the dog got within 15 yards of them and turned back to the beach. I guess the mother otter thought to teach my dog a lesson, turned around and bit her in the butt. My dog let out a huge whelp ( which i did hear but didn't know what happened). I thought maybe two dogs had a little dominance scuffle. Later , I found two large, deep teeth marks in her leg and at first thought a really big dog bit her. She limped around for a few days but healed up. I was quite shocked to see how deep the bite went - intramuscular. The only unfortunate thing is that since she did not see the otter come up from behind her, she didn't learn a otter-avoidance lesson.
    I obviously don't encourage her if there are otters or seals around.
    Otters are kind of pests out there. If you don't have a mooring cover on your boat, it's an invitation for them to party on your boat, and make a huge, smelly mess.
    Glad your dog is ok.