Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Otter bit my dog!

An Otter bit my dog!

An Otter made it's way into our pond overnight. I'm guessing it came from a creek down the hill. He's a pretty decent sized guy and he's feasting on our fish, and my wife saw him sneaking up on some ducklings.
    The little bugger took a bite at my dog when he was swimming in there this morning. I didn't know we had an otter until I heard my dog yelp and run away from the pond limping with his tail between his legs. When I took my dog out there to go check it out, the otter would go under water and swim towards my dog every time he stepped into the water.
    I threw a bunch of rocks at it to try and scare it away, and make it feel unwelcome, but it didn't work. He'd just swim to the other end of the pond, or to an island.
    We swim in there all summer, and my dog is in there at least an hour a day, so the otter's gotta go. I called LAPS and they directed me to the MOE, they directed me to a trapper who said he couldn't do anything until they're open season in November.
    Hopefully the little bugger's gone by the end of the week.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: An Otter bit my dog!

How about using a live trap and relocating him ,those traps work great on racoons ?

.22 cee bee!
    just kidding, Im sure there is a pest trapper somewhere you can hire

I have a live trap for racoons, but this guy probably wouldn't fit his whole body in it. If he's here still when the weekend comes, I'll probably look into renting a bigger trap... then I have to find a place to bring him.

The large adult otters we have up north are lean and mean and fearless. Two wolves attacked two otters in heavy willows near a creek not far from PG. There was blood and fur everywhere (fur was from the wolves). In the fresh snow two sets of otter tracks headed out and two sets of wolf tracks went the opposite direction. They are lightning fast and have a mean set of teeth and claws. I'd sure watch my dog.
    Limited Entry Loser

Wow I didn't realize that otters get that big, Ive seen some big coons!!

CHEERS HUNTERMIKE

I've tangled with otters, my dad and a chick i know both have lifelong finger damage from dirty mouthed otter bites. Disinfect your dogs bite. Take to vet if deep. I love watching otters and coons, but if it's a threat to you dog. Wire snare.

Nuisance beavers and bears can be dealt with up here no matter what the season. Ranchers hire my buddy who's a trapper all year round. The ranchers just shoot the bears but beavers are a little harder so they hire him. Find a different trapper or try a pest control company. Take care of your pup and make sure there's no infection.

yeah otters can be seriously visious. If you have any fish in that pond, they will do some serious damage to the population in a real hurry! Definately get on the live trap idea quick and relocate it. Once they know an easy food soucre is a available they will continue to frequent it daily. The local fish hatcheries often have issues with them and live trap them often.
    All I feel is the anticipation and recoil.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

If you do trap the bugger, might be best to call CO, or SPCA etc. and have them deal with it....heavy fine for transplanting live fur bearing animals.