Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Meager creek mountain goat

Re: Meager creek mountain goat

The last goat taken was in 2003 really well have to put an end to that stat cmon boys wanna see some goat pics in a few months time cant wait so what you guys thinkn early sept or gonna try for later im thinkn mid sept for me going for 4 point for first couple weekends then its all goat baby. Like u said close to home 2-3hrs tops and your spotting cant beat that. Heading up July 5th for a drive i give update when i return.

Hoping to get out in the next few weeks with my bud that got the other tag, find a way in and take a hike up the mountain...with some hard miles and a little luck I'll hopefully have some good goat footage to share! 3 guys with tags, 2 months til opening...heck we can build our own bridge across lol...whatever it takes I guess...I got a sturdy horse thats just full of piss and vinigar, I'm sure he wouldn't mind packin a couple goats out My calendar is open for goats until Nov 1st moose so "if another landslide doesn't happen" I'll have lots of time to put on the mountain.

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know how the area is now if there were anymore slides etc. I am thinking about putting in for this hunt. My Dad got a Billie out of here sometime in the early 2000's, he put it in the bc book. It would be cool to both have gotten a billie out of here and would make him proud.

Thanks for any updates

There is the issue of getting across the upper Lillooet River if you want to hunt Mt. Meager.

Part of the zone is north of the river but you'd have to be prepared for heck of a bushwhack to do it, and I don't know if there are realistically any goats there anyway. I think I recall news of a guy getting chewed up by a grizzly up there in 2020 looking for goats though.

I did run into a guy driving the upper lillooet river road last year who had the draw but didn't semm to know any of the above.
    Last edited by MichelD; 01-03-2022 at 12:51 PM.

Hey MichelD, can I send you a PM?

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Hey MichelD, can I send you a PM?
    Sure, go ahead.

I know someone who had the draw up in Meager, and they didn't do all that well.
    Meanwhile a friend of theirs had the draw for Texas Cr and did well.
    My dad used to hunt Texas many years ago.
    But, I am but sure if you can still hunt it?

from what i hear there are way easier spots to get a goat.
    Honestly, the LEH draw odds for that one aren't even that good considering how difficult access has gotten since the giant slide years ago.

I would think many people continue to put in, because it looks close to home on the map, but they aren't actually aware of the access problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I know someone who had the draw up in Meager, and they didn't do all that well.
    Meanwhile a friend of theirs had the draw for Texas Cr and did well.
    My dad used to hunt Texas many years ago.
    But, I am but sure if you can still hunt it?
    I don't know if there's a draw there any more, but a couple years ago there was a slide across the road we didn't dare cross in a Toyota Land Cruiser. To steep an angle and too many oil pan rippers. Maybe Lillooet folks could update.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I don't know if there's a draw there any more, but a couple years ago there was a slide across the road we didn't dare cross in a Toyota Land Cruiser. To steep an angle and too many oil pan rippers. Maybe Lillooet folks could update.
    There are lots of draws in 3-16 where Texas creek is, but I think that FSR has been blocked off for other reasons now (grizzly mating area plus natives not allowing etc).

I haven't been up Texas in some time now but it's a beautiful area where you can drive your Jeep way above the treeline on old mining roads. And yes, there are grizzlies in there for sure.