Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ridges East of the Besa River

Re: Ridges East of the Besa River

I tried hiking into that range. Klingzut mnt I think its called. I quaded as far as I could ,which was allowed for as far as I got. Set out on foot and hit lots of swamp. I aborted mission. When I first replied to your post, I was thinking of the mountains north of the besa, not east. I believe goats are closed on that range. Its in the regs if I am thinking of the right spot. I have heard that if you go a bit farther up the highway past the redfern turnoff, there is another road you can head in on. I heard there is a seismic line somewhere in there that takes you to the base of the mountain. I dont know if the vehicle resticted area would be marked in there so you have to be aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
    Those seismic lines are not part of the designated vehicle route into the MK, so no.
    Ive been looking at the maps. Do you have a more detailed one? I will have to order 1 before we leave, but it looks like you could get fairly close to the bottom of that ridge without going past the no access area. Or is there a more general rule that Im missing for that area?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

are you talking about the ridges along the besa after it turns north to hit the prophet? if so that is a tough area to access by quad as the closure doesn't allow you to get close enough for practica purposes unless you travel further up the highway and take a cutline in, but be aware that is real muskeg country. most of the sheep ranges left in there are on the other side of the besa. there are some elk and moose in that general area but again that is atough area for access unless you have horses, then too there is some soft ground to navigate.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Back in the day I used to see lots of sheep on these ridges not many goats Browns Outfitting guided this area back then in the early 70ties..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Dredging up this old thread. Looks like the Besa can be accessed via the Redfern Lake trail. Anybody ever float the Besa down to the Prophet then down to the Hiway at Trutch?

I know it isn't good moose timing but I'm thinking of a late August adventure up that way. I've done most of the Redfern trail in my Rhino or on motorcycle, a good float might be a nice way to mix things up.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

My hunting partner and I did it in 2000 and almost died when the boat went under a monster logjam with us and all our gear. Lost everything...
    We launched at the bridge over the Besa and encountered problems almost immediately with sweepers, logjams and very shallow parts all the way.
    Even got launched over a waterfall!
    Hope you are experienced "floaters". Obviously we weren't and suffered the consequences...