Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a cooler

Building a cooler

Looking into making a 4x8 cooler, will a normal window air conditioner or something of the like that work to keep it cool?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Building a cooler

Google cool bot

We used the refridge unit from an old corner store pop cooler. Works like a charm in our portable 4'wx6'dx5'h cooler, built with 1/4" ply and 2" styrofoam. Runs OK on 3500 w generator but better with a 5000. Hung 4 six point elk and two deer in it one hot September with no problem. Also keeps the beer cold.
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06 View Post
    Google cool bot
    Search HBC for CoolBot
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by kebes View Post
    Looking into making a 4x8 cooler, will a normal window air conditioner or something of the like that work to keep it cool?
    the 8ft. is fine but the with a quarter of a big moose does not need 4 ft. keep the air moving as per back thew the unit as 36 to 38 with a breeze is fine and the window unit is ok. and a air vent to out side as moisture is your enemy.

I am building one out of an an old small walkin cooler unit ... more like a huge reach in ... call up small refrig techs .... they almost always have stuff lying around ... that they will let go for cheap
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Cool thanks guys. I've been looking at cool bot, does anyone know if it works with the vertical window mounted a/c units ie. http://www.lghvac.com/products/produ...q=12&mode=read

Thanks.

I bought a coolbot last year and it works great. We got our uninsulated cooler down to 2.5 deg in probably 15 min. I would suggest only using the ac units that they list on there site. The vertical window mount should work because it is window mount but they say not to use the stand up units.

Coolbot works great i've had mine for three years now, i use mine with a 18000 btu a/c and my cooler is 10x12, insulation is the most important part, i have 6" on the floor and ceiling and 4 " (styrofoam) in the walls.

Okay, so another question....Looking into this more I'm probably going to build something a bit smaller. I want it to be relatively compact but big enough to store elk or moose quarters. What type of dimensions would I need....I've only dealt with deer don't really know how much room moose or elk would take but hopefully I'll need it in the not to distant future .