Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Neutering - pros and cons

Re: Neutering - pros and cons

Neutering a male eliminates the possibility of testicular tumors and greatly reduces the chance of prostate problems. Neutering decreases the incidence of perianal tumors and hernias, which are commonly observed in older, unaltered males. Neutered males are less likely to try to escape a yard to find a female in season. This reduces the likelihood of them being hit by cars, getting into fights or lost. (Neutering is no substitute for a securely fenced yard, however).

Females spayed before their first estrous cycle ("heat") greatly reduces her chance of mammary tumors, ovarian cancer and uterine infection (all of which can be fatal and costly to treat). A spayed female eliminates the neighborhood stray males from camping out on your lawn trying to get at your female when she comes into "heat." Giving birth to a litter can be dangerous to your female. Some breeds have a high rate of cesarean sections, which are expensive and can be risky.

My pet will get fat and lazy.
    Spay and neutering may diminish your pet's want to roam. Inactivity and poor feeding habits are generally the culprits in your pet's weight gain. Feed a good quality food, give your pet exercise and adjust the food level to your pet's activity level.
    We can make money selling the babies.
    The cost of raising a litter properly will consume the majority of your "profit." There are too many puppies and kittens that need homes. Why contribute to this? Finding good homes can be difficult. What will you do with "surplus" offspring? Can you afford to keep multiple animals? Are you zoned to keep multiple animals?

There can be serious risks involved with breeding. The mother may develop complications and require immediate medical intervention. Mothers may abandon puppies leaving you to hand rear. This include feeding a special formula every two hours, round the clock, stimulating the puppies to eliminate, checking weights daily, maintaining proper temperatures and humidity, etc. Even puppies whose mother cares for them may require supplemental feedings. Puppies can be stillborn or born horribly deformed. One breeder whose female gave birth to puppies that were no more than sacks of tissue and visible bone. Are you prepared to deal with things such as cleft palate, hydrocephaly or other problems some breeds may be prone to? Are you willing to face the fact you could have to euthanize puppies? Are you willing to make certain the mother is up to date on all inoculations and have the puppies get their's as well before going to homes? Diseases such as Parvovirus can kill puppies fast. Are you willing to risk your wonderful female becoming a biting terror as she protects puppies?

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

[QUOTE=newhunterette;929213]Neutering a male eliminates the possibility of testicular tumors and greatly reduces the chance of prostate problems. Neutering decreases the incidence of perianal tumors and hernias, which are commonly observed in older, unaltered males. Neutered males are less likely to try to escape a yard to find a female in season. This reduces the likelihood of them being hit by cars, getting into fights or lost. (Neutering is no substitute for a securely fenced yard, however).

Females spayed before their first estrous cycle ("heat") greatly reduces her chance of mammary tumors, ovarian cancer and uterine infection (all of which can be fatal and costly to treat). A spayed female eliminates the neighborhood stray males from camping out on your lawn trying to get at your female when she comes into "heat." Giving birth to a litter can be dangerous to your female. Some breeds have a high rate of cesarean sections, which are expensive and can be risky.

My pet will get fat and lazy.
    Spay and neutering may diminish your pet's want to roam. Inactivity and poor feeding habits are generally the culprits in your pet's weight gain. Feed a good quality food, give your pet exercise and adjust the food level to your pet's activity level.
    We can make money selling the babies.
    The cost of raising a litter properly will consume the majority of your "profit." There are too many puppies and kittens that need homes. Why contribute to this? Finding good homes can be difficult. What will you do with "surplus" offspring? Can you afford to keep multiple animals? Are you zoned to keep multiple animals?

There can be serious risks involved with breeding. The mother may develop complications and require immediate medical intervention. Mothers may abandon puppies leaving you to hand rear. This include feeding a special formula every two hours, round the clock, stimulating the puppies to eliminate, checking weights daily, maintaining proper temperatures and humidity, etc. Even puppies whose mother cares for them may require supplemental feedings. Puppies can be stillborn or born horribly deformed. One breeder whose female gave birth to puppies that were no more than sacks of tissue and visible bone. Are you prepared to deal with things such as cleft palate, hydrocephaly or other problems some breeds may be prone to? Are you willing to face the fact you could have to euthanize puppies? Are you willing to make certain the mother is up to date on all inoculations and have the puppies get their's as well before going to homes? Diseases such as Parvovirus can kill puppies fast. Are you willing to risk your wonderful female becoming a biting terror as she protects puppies

[QUOTE]

A LOT of great points here I would however comment on the "bitting terror" synerio.. IF a bitch shows that kind of temperment then a breeder casual or pro has no business breeding her and risking passing it along. Back in about '86 a very good friend of mine spayed the Canadian National High Point Field Trial Spaniel, with litterly dozens of prospective buyers lined up for her pups because she exhibited questionable temproment trits on a couple of occasions.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I totally agree with Newhunterette...as usual. lol And I'd like to point out that I had my Border Collie spayed when she was around 6 months. Now that she is almost 11 years old...her bladder muscles have become weaker and she was leaving urine spots where she had been resting. After a trip to the vet, they wanted her on a hormone replacement pill to take for the rest of her life with no guarentee's that it wouldn't basically ''mess her up''. After alot of research I went to the health food store and picked up a large container of LECITHIN. Cost me 13 dollars a month, fixed her problem, absolutley no side effect and is great for her aging body and brain. She gets a spoon full everyday.

I have never nuetered one of my previous labs until my latest one. I couldnt bring myself to do it. I did have to put up with a bit of crap though. Running away lookin for action was ALWAYS a problem. The best lab I ever had would disappear for days at a time. Fights were constant. The peeing on everything from little kids to fancy rims on peoples vehichles had me yelled at alot. I was young though and all this stuff was tolerable. Now that I am older I figured I would give this neutering a try. I did my lab at 6 or 8 months. He lifts his leg to pee but he doesnt have to pee on "stuff". He wanders my 5 acres but doesnt take off. He is just over a year now so I am hoping he will be less stressful on me.

Ask an honest vet, intact dogs live longer happier lives. An unwanted breeding can be negated with drugs, kinda like the morning after pill.

Our girl was spayed a bit earlier than the Breeder's contract specified but we were concerned about the potential problems that Newhunterette mentioned. It was highly recommended by the Vet. Didn't result in any problems, in fact she's still a red headed bitch and she's almost 9 now.
    Our boy, who we got at about 14 months is on a co-ownership with the Breeder so he has to remain intact until he is 3. That's about another 14 months to go.
    We do have a caveat however that if he becomes too difficult due to being intact, then off they come. So far he's really not too much of a problem. The first month was difficult with him trying to hump anything with two or more legs ( me, the cat, ......... ) but that really was more of an attempt at dominance than anything. He exhibits next to nil aggression. A major downside tho' is that because he is intact he is not accepted in dog day care or by dog walkers.
    Wife has said to me as she looked me in the eye: "There's only going to be one male in this house with nuts - it's your decision which one of you loses 'em."

FYI,

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

This is a real problem for some dogs.

http://www.vet4petz.com/articles/uri...continence.htm

IMO behavior issues are not related to a dog (female or male) being intact unless it is sex based. Behavior issues are blamed on a dog being intact instead of taking responsibility for training of said dog.

In many European countries spay and neutering is banned because it is deemed a surgery which is unnecessary for the health of the animal. Pet over population doesn't seem to be an issue in those countries. Yet in North America, where it is routine to spay and neuter, we are over run with unwanted dogs. Why is that??

However intact dogs are NOT for everyone.

Brittanys should not be neutered before 9 months and preferrably 1 year of age. The testosterone as your pup develops closes the growth plates. If a male is neutered too early they may develop long gangly legs.

hmmmm agree with spaying and neutering...

friend of mine had a coon hound that wasnt fixed...he caught another coonhound face down rooting under a tree..nothing but the backside sticking up and out..his daughter came running into the house in near tears..that the dog was humping the female " and Buddy is smiling "..lol

steven

Thanks for all the feedback. Lots of great advice and common sense. I think that, on the strength of what I have read here, they are comng off.