Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neutering - pros and cons

Neutering - pros and cons

We've been discussing whether of not to neuter our 5 month old Brittany. I am reluctant to do so as it seems unecessary. I have (probably unrealistic) thoughts of breeding him some day. My wife, on the other hand, is all for it. I've read some of the other threads here regarding optimum age for neutering but not seen anything that deals with the practicalities of doing so. Any strongly held views on this?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Neutering - pros and cons

i am happy i neutered my german shepherd . He was still controllable but was a hand full. we waited a full year before we did him. i do miss laughing at his balls though

My Rott would walk around humping the air sometimes. Like scallywag he was controllable but definitely a hand full. He calmed down after, but I waited till he was a year old so he doesn't squat and pee like a girl.

I left 'em on my rott/mastiff pup. I don't have any problem controlling him, he's got it figured out that what I say goes, no exceptions. The only minor issue is that any time he spots a jutting rock, clump of grass, tree, pickup tire, fencepost, smaller dog, etc., he has to fire up his piss-pump and give it a soaking.

Spay or Neuter. Leave breeding (or any chance of) up to experts.

[QUOTE
    Spay or Neuter. Leave breeding (or any chance of) up to experts.

][/QUOTE]

X 2..........a lot more to it then throwing a couple of dogs together. Look how "perfect" the human gene pool is where the only condition for reproduction is an urge!
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

We chose not to spay and neuter two of our dogs. My wife said they couldn't mate because of the size difference. One day I was coming home and the smaller female was standing where a tree use to be and in the depression left behind by the old tree was the larger male and they were going at it. One $1000.00 emergency caesarian later we have no uncut dogs we ended up losing one puppy.

If they are left uncut they will find a way to mate.

Wait till a neighbour bitch(dog) is in heat and you have to listen to WOOOOOO AHWOOOOOOO ARRRRRRROWWW ALL NIGHT for 7-10 days then you will think nutering is a great idea. And being a spaniel(they don't give up easy) he will do his damnedest to find a way out of his run/yard when the lure hits him and a loose dog can be a squashe dog especially when they are thinking with the "little head" Unless you have a really great reason for breeding him ie:super GREAT blood lines and want to put out the expense of hip/eye/etc certifiaction. The wife is right on this one and IMHO you will loose nothing as a working hunter.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 06-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Quote Originally Posted by buck nash View Post
    That is a huge misconception deit and exercise is the key a "fixed" dog M or F MAY thicken up a bit BUT a working dog shouldn't get FAT. On the other side of the coin I've seen some pretty overweight couch potato "whole" dogs. BUT if it's a worry to you PM me I'll put you in touch with a bunch of hunters with "fixed" gundogs that will "testify"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.