Thread: Gun dog questions.

Gun dog questions.

I'm new to the gun dog idea. I've owned dogs before (golden retriever, rottweilers) but was not into hunting when I had them (I was 7). We just recently moved into a new place and have enough room and a yard to accommodate a 4 legged friend. Ive been looking at several breeds like a kid in a candy shop. (flat coated retriever, golden retriever, nova scotia duck tolling retriever, English lab, and the list goes on.) I am not asking what kind of dog is the best.
    I would like to know if it is damaging to keep a duck/ bird dog indoors. I ask because I would like to have both a family pet and a hunting companion.
    Also is it tough on a dog to go from upland game bird hunting to duck hunting? (ie. Chukars around kamloops lake near savona to ducks up in the hills all in the same day)
    And any training tips would be helpful
    I will post pics when I get the dog.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gun dog questions.

House dog, family pet and hunting dog.

Here's another one.

I don't think they are "damaged" and neither does anyone else.

Read this ad which is in the classified section to answer your question about going from upland to waterfowl. http://www.goldngunretrievers.com/

Thanks for the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    I'm new to the gun dog idea. I've owned dogs before (golden retriever, rottweilers) but was not into hunting when I had them (I was 7). We just recently moved into a new place and have enough room and a yard to accommodate a 4 legged friend. Ive been looking at several breeds like a kid in a candy shop. (flat coated retriever, golden retriever, nova scotia duck tolling retriever, English lab, and the list goes on.) I am not asking what kind of dog is the best.
    I would like to know if it is damaging to keep a duck/ bird dog indoors. I ask because I would like to have both a family pet and a hunting companion.
    Also is it tough on a dog to go from upland game bird hunting to duck hunting? (ie. Chukars around kamloops lake near savona to ducks up in the hills all in the same day)
    And any training tips would be helpful
    I will post pics when I get the dog.
    What Kas. said X2 my personal dogs(Springers and Goldens) are ALL pets as well as tough all purpose gundogs.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Probably do more good than harm.The tighter you bond with your dog the more its going to want to please you and hunt with you.Our pointer is a is member of the family and is a great hunter.

My chocolate lab hunts the waters with me and she hunts the grouse on the way to the water. We have her as a family pet first and as a hunting partner its a very close second. She always sleeps inside in her crate or at the foot of the bed. We got lucky with her, I hope you pick a good pup.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

They are all pets first and hunting buddys second. Kas, I met the NSDT lady from California that owns Shooter when I was in Montana, she was running labs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsue View Post
    They are all pets first and hunting buddys second. Kas, I met the NSDT lady from California that owns Shooter when I was in Montana, she was running labs.
    Yes,it pains me but Nancy went to the dark side. She is a serious FT competitor and all around nice person

Her Lily was the AKC#2 Derby dog a some years ago and just won her first Open a couple of weeks ago.

Shooter is the ONLY QFTR toller in the states. There is one other in Canada. He also is one of two CKC NMH and the ONLY AKC NMH.