Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting in Sea To Sky country.

Re: Black bear hunting in Sea To Sky country.

Get out of the truck!

Spent alot of time in this area and agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    Lots of areas to go up the "corridor". You can head up towards the Elaho Valley.....heading up Squamish River Road. There is the road that heads back in behind the Chief...Indian River cut off is closed but there are plenty of "just fine" roads you can drive in there without a truck. Find a spur and get out and walk.

There are also a number of FSR's as you head north of Squamish.....and you can drive in on most of them some ways without a truck/4x4.

No shortage of bears anywhere up that way.....have been to and from Whistler 3 times in the past month and have seen bears on the highway every trip.

If you can get a backroads map book.....you'll see there are lots of roads they just may vary as to how far you can get in.
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

For what it's worth, I've spent the last two seasons in that area creeping around the bush, mostly looking for grouse, and only had my first bear sighting on Friday. That said, I can think of a handful of swampy, berry-bush-filled areas that are always full of bear droppings -- you just need to find a place that no one else knows about.

Like the other guys said, there's no point in driving all day. You'll only see other cars. Get as far out that road as you can and start hiking. Look for game trails and get away from the main roads.

Went hiking up the Squamish in December, maybe five clicks past the end of the pavement due to snow maybe knee deep. I went back to the same place the next weekend and a Grizz had walked in my footprints in the snow up one side and back down the other along a dried up channel of the river for maybe a kilometer. There were still a few chum in the river that I assume he was fishing for.

Sorry guys if I didn't explain in greater detail, but yes, we did go hiking few times. First of all, I did lots of driving because as I said earlier I was new to the area, and wanted to cover and learn as much as I could about that valley, so for starters we went all the way to far end, till we hit the snow pack. Then on the way back we started to check the side roads but that when we ran into problems. Most of the side roads, except for 3 or 4 had some sort of ditch across it, not sure if it was man made or caused by overflow of water, or combination of both, so needles to say we had no choice but hike in order to see what was there.

There was also another issue that we had. Although we covered such a great area, we have seen almost no open or clear-cut spaces. Most was reforested several years ago and grew pretty much out of control, in let's say 90% of it you wouldn't be able to go inside that bush to take a leak. Having said that, and being a new hunter I wouldn't feel comfortable to make a decision about taking down a bear without knowing for sure if there are cubs around. Same goes to hiking to far from the car. With no experience I was not sure if I felt like dragging a bear, if I got lucky, all the way back to the car. I can only hope that making such decisions will only get easier if and when I learn and get that experience. Still I consider this first trip great lesson and good beginnings.

in my opinion,dont waste time in that area,lots of new hunters from metro vancouver drive around in the valley all days .i had hunt this area almost 10 years,you can found the bear number are continue dropping very hard,and also the size!recently three years,i did saw bear in there,but no shooter!

The big Grizzly hanging around the Squamish/Cheakamus is called "Khan". There is also a sow that I have heard about a few times but I can`t remember what they call her. Many people have seen him walking around while fishing. This Grizz was garbage hunting down town a few years ago. The Squamish valley has some Elk in good numbers now so I am sure we will see more Grizz in the future. No LEH yet though. Be aware when hiking up there.

http://www.squamishchief.com/article...otted-downtown

vortex hunter Guest

Yeah It was a rush lol being stalked by a grizz in the Elaho Valley last year while out looking for deer for fall.....made my buddy crapppp himself ...

Quote Originally Posted by vortex hunter View Post
    Yeah It was a rush lol being stalked by a grizz in the Elaho Valley last year while out looking for deer for fall.....made my buddy crapppp himself ...

All the bear craps I've seen were certainly not grizzly's coz I didn't see any bells and pepper sprays in it.

try up squamish river and towards Elaho..don't waste your time up the corridor..most of it is no hunting and no access.