Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting in Sea To Sky country.

Re: Black bear hunting in Sea To Sky country.

Yeah I've seen a grizz in the elaho about 15 years ago. And about 2 years ago I was driving by 200 branch and saw an elk swimming across the river. I've heard there is moose in there too buy I've never seen one.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. With all the info obtained here I will be up there tomorrow doing me best to make ya all proud.

Saw a cow moose in Elaho last year, as well as a heard of elks.

Obviously, haven't seen anything I could shot at... <sigh>

If you end up in whistler I saw a nice black bear up rutherford creek last week , bout three clicks in , hanging out below the second slide area.
    I kill things and eat them.

Or....if you end up in Whistler.....put on a pair of plaid pants and a golf shirt....grab the biggest driver you have and hit Nicklaus North; you should be able to whack one on the noggin' by the 3rd hole. While gutting though....ensure you let other golfers "play through".

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

Quote Originally Posted by 4cefedomni View Post
    Yeah I've seen a grizz in the elaho about 15 years ago. And about 2 years ago I was driving by 200 branch and saw an elk swimming across the river. I've heard there is moose in there too buy I've never seen one.
    My non hunting buddy told me he found an elk shed up the elaho a couple of weeks back. Showed me the photo and it was the funniest elk antler I ever saw - it had palms and everything!
    The loggers in the elaho legally have to protect certain areas for the moose winter range. Dont know how big the herd is though.

Well, well. I wish I had something exciting to report from my first ever hunting trip, but I am afraid it is no so. Went as planed to Elaho Valley, with a friend, another rookie hunter with whom we took CORE, and was driving for a better part of the day on main and some side FSR. On the main went almost all the way to 48 mile where snow was encountered and we had no choice but to turn around and go back and start checking out the side roads. For the last 1 or 2 miles before the snow our hopes went really high because there was about 10 or so, fairly fresh bear crap piles, but unfortunately that's as close as we got. Not even a single bear sighting. Well, well again. The good news is that my first bear is going to live another day and I will very likely go there again next weekend try my luck one more time.

The weather was awesome, and since we never have been so far up the valley, we had great time to be outdoors and be checking out new area. Also against all we were expecting, being so close to Vancouver, sunny and all, we have seen almost no people there.

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    Or....if you end up in Whistler.....put on a pair of plaid pants and a golf shirt....grab the biggest driver you have and hit Nicklaus North; you should be able to whack one on the noggin' by the 3rd hole. While gutting though....ensure you let other golfers "play through".

LOL. Good suggestion but naaaah, golfing will have to wait a little, because I intend to take my first bear the old fashioned way, with 180gr from my 30-06.

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

Next time try staying up there till last light. Also try calling, you will be surprised what they will do....
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........

Quote Originally Posted by NaStY View Post
    Next time try staying up there till last light. Also try calling, you will be surprised what they will do....
    I would have loved to stay there till last light, but because my partner had some serious family commitment and also it was Canucks game night, it was not to be. As I said before, I'll go back and on that occasion I intend to be more persistent.