Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting in Sea To Sky country.

Black bear hunting in Sea To Sky country.

I would like to take this opportunity to, first of all, say hi to all members here. I just recently joined this forum and not only enjoyed reading countless stories many members have shared here, together with their hunting pics, but also found several answers to questions that were on my mind. No point in hiding of the fact, that I am also new to hunting and since I don't have any family members or friends that hunt, I am going to have to learn the ropes myself.

I am about to go on my first hunt, my first bear hunt, and for sentimental reason I am thinking about going towards Suqamish or Whistler. With this in mind I would like to ask you for your input and suggestions where would be good place to try. Of course I am not asking for your honey spots, just a decent access to crown land. Also please keep in mind that I will not be driving 4X4 vehicle. I will appreciate all your opinions. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Black bear hunting in Sea To Sky country.

Lots of areas to go up the "corridor". You can head up towards the Elaho Valley.....heading up Squamish River Road. There is the road that heads back in behind the Chief...Indian River cut off is closed but there are plenty of "just fine" roads you can drive in there without a truck. Find a spur and get out and walk.

There are also a number of FSR's as you head north of Squamish.....and you can drive in on most of them some ways without a truck/4x4.

No shortage of bears anywhere up that way.....have been to and from Whistler 3 times in the past month and have seen bears on the highway every trip.

If you can get a backroads map book.....you'll see there are lots of roads they just may vary as to how far you can get in.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 06-02-2011 at 09:56 AM.

vortex hunter Guest

the Elaho is great took me a bear outta there on tuesday BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE GRIZZZZ

read your regs closely dont get caught shooting grizz or hunting on roads not permitted for hunting

Yeah, no motor vehicles permitted past 50.5 mile on the Elaho G-Main.

See regs page 35.

Thank you all for your replies so far. Even if no motor vehicles are permitted past 50.5 mile on Elaho G-Main that;s still plenty of distance to be covered.

Also when I read that comment from Vortex Hunter to watch out for Grizzlies at first I thought that he is trying to pull my leg, but little I knew. Did some research and sure enough, there is small population of Grizzlies in Elaho Valley. This is something I would have not expected after going up and down that corridor on regular basis for over 15 years. Learned something new today. Thanks for the heads up.

There are some FSR at the end of Squamish Valley Road, just past the new Ashlu Creek Power project. Would anyone know about that area??

I saw a bear lickin the grease trap behind the mcdonalds in Squamish last week, So I would set up somewhere close to that. Maybe in the bushes beside the drive through. Plus if you get hungry while you wait and glass for your trophy you have food seconds away and free refills on your cola for the whole day. Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck. And shoot straight.

"you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

Quote Originally Posted by nolimits View Post
    Also when I read that comment from Vortex Hunter to watch out for Grizzlies at first I thought that he is trying to pull my leg, but little I knew. Did some research and sure enough, there is small population of Grizzlies in Elaho Valley. This is something I would have not expected after going up and down that corridor on regular basis for over 15 years. Learned something new today. Thanks for the heads up.
    ??
    Yup....there was a young boar walking down one of the main drags in Squamish a couple of years ago. I have seen pics of a sow with cubs in Brandywine Meadows.....they are DEFINITELY around. Have heard reports of fishermen seeing the occasional grizz while fishing the Squamish/Cheak/Mamquam; and I think someone posted pics of one either on here or one of the BC fishing forums that was on the Squamish.

Quote Originally Posted by 870 View Post
    I saw a bear lickin the grease trap behind the mcdonalds in Squamish last week, So I would set up somewhere close to that. Maybe in the bushes beside the drive through. Plus if you get hungry while you wait and glass for your trophy you have food seconds away and free refills on your cola for the whole day. Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck. And shoot straight.

AND........there is an A&W across the street if a Mama Burger and some onion rings are more your style.

Quote Originally Posted by 870 View Post

Couple years ago I was bear hunting for a day in Squamish, Spent the day in the bush without seeing one. Did however find a freshly stolen motorhome ditched in the bush and pumped full of bullet holes. Took photos, gps info and flagged the roads in to it. When we got back out and into town I called the RCMP who told me to go wait at the 7-11 for an officer who would take the info. While sitting there waiting a big ol bear came running up out of the bush, across the 7-11 drive way and onto the hwy where it ran in circles 3 or 4 times and promptly ran back into the bush from where it came from lol.

Cops had no interest in taking my info, wouldnt take gps coordinates, photos nothing but the vin # and a rough description of where it was then ended up calling me back twice over the following week to ask me questions again... idiots.