Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Shot placement is key"

"Shot placement is key"

Saw a good thread earlier on shot placement on a Grizz. New to hunting and just thought I'd see what peoples thoughts are on shot placement. We'll use the following scenario;
    100 - 150 yards
    broadside
    quartering away
    shot location for each position for moose, sheep/goat (wish i could get that close to one of those!!!), elk, grizz / black, bison.
    The bear thread had pretty much a 50/50 lung vrs busting a shoulder. Bison has a different anatomy so looking for input there.
    Lets see what you guys think.
    Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "Shot placement is key"

If you want to drop a broadside animal on the spot, shoot on the leg line, 1/3 up from the bottom of the chest. That ensures wrecking the "shoulders" and hitting the heart/lungs. Works for everything, but does wreck some meat. If you aren't worried about it running a bit, getting to cover, etc, then destroying the lungs without hitting bone will kill anything in short order.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I took SRUPP advice just last weekend when I got my Grizzly, he was quartering to me, first shot through left shoulder,exit behind right shoulder, second shot in engine room from left to right. Then my buddy spined him. Found both my bullets against hide. 30-06 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. From 66yards.
    I eat. Therefore I HUNT!

quartering away, aim for the offside shoulder
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

from what i was told by one of the members from our hunting club who has hunted bison you have to shoot it in the bottom third of its chest and its not advised to shoot the bones especially the head as they can redirect the bullet away from the vitals. He even said that someone shot a bison strait on above the nose and the bullet want through the hide along the surface of the bone and out the forehead not phasing the animal. at the end of the day i havent seen many animals go far when you shoot em in the lungs/liver/heart. But i wouldent shoot a large north american predator with anything less than 200gr bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by killer_shot View Post
    from what i was told by one of the members from our hunting club who has hunted bison you have to shoot it in the bottom third of its chest and its not advised to shoot the bones especially the head as they can redirect the bullet away from the vitals. He even said that someone shot a bison strait on above the nose and the bullet want through the hide along the surface of the bone and out the forehead not phasing the animal. at the end of the day i havent seen many animals go far when you shoot em in the lungs/liver/heart. But i wouldent shoot a large north american predator with anything less than 200gr bullet.
    Bison Ranchers routinely dispatch 1500,1800, 2000 pound bison with a 30-30 slug in the "MELON" from 30 or 40 yards,
    they drop like a $ack-of-$hit,

on the other hand I personally watched an Uber-Hunter shoot a mature bull bison at 90 yards 4 times in the shoulder broadside with a .300 Wind Bag Mag and 200 grn Noslers, the bison casually walked away and died about 200 yards away,,,
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    Bison Ranchers routinely dispatch 1500,1800, 2000 pound bison with a 30-30 slug in the "MELON" from 30 or 40 yards,
    they drop like a $ack-of-$hit,

on the other hand I personally watched an Uber-Hunter shoot a mature bull bison at 90 yards 4 times in the shoulder broadside with a .300 Wind Bag Mag and 200 grn Noslers, the bison casually walked away and died about 200 yards away,,,
    they probably know exactly where in the head to shoot it like the temple not the front of the head, from what i have been told when you draw a bison tag they send you a panflet and it specifically tell you not to take a head shot. Dont doubt that ranchers do it all day long but there has to be some technique

Quote Originally Posted by killer_shot View Post
    they probably know exactly where in the head to shoot it like the temple not the front of the head, from what i have been told when you draw a bison tag they send you a panflet and it specifically tell you not to take a head shot. Dont doubt that ranchers do it all day long but there has to be some technique
    right in the middle of the forehead with a 30-30 , 170 grn soft point, leaves a neat little hole about the size of a 10 cent coin !
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

hmmm shot a few cattle with head shots..there is a technique for head shots..and this does NOT apply to big game hunting EVER..

Killer _shot,, you got BAD advice... read what Gatehouse recomends... bears are different than all other BC big game...and has been hashed over add -nauseum...check this site.....

cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    If you want to drop a broadside animal on the spot, shoot on the leg line, 1/3 up from the bottom of the chest. That ensures wrecking the "shoulders" and hitting the heart/lungs. Works for everything, but does wreck some meat. If you aren't worried about it running a bit, getting to cover, etc, then destroying the lungs without hitting bone will kill anything in short order.
    I agree with gatehouse the shoulder shot for sure and keep in mind that if it is a goat or sheep you want to drop them where they stand you don't want the sheep or goat to run over a cliff and breaking there horns or hard to get to..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..