Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting culture in B.C.?

Re: Hunting culture in B.C.?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    I would get your pooch a vest, to be safe.
    I dont think people are dog shooters, I think people are wolf shooters. People talk tough about shooting dogs running deer etc. but i have never heard of it happening. But if that dog is in the bush and looks like a wolf an accident might happen.

All would be avoided if yo got a vest for it.
    It does sound like an interesting way to hunt birds,,,, Totally not what i have been around. Pointers, Flushers and retrievers.

EDIT: oh ya,,, dog shootin' threads get everyone's hackles up fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by littleheelers View Post
    Woha, I didn't means to stir up any sentimental feelings.

To me, the issue is no different than some of those townships where the leash laws are on the records, but suggesting such bylaws to be enforced would be rocking the boat and gets the locals all riled up. So I was seeing if certain weeks are better, or people actually has some commonsense to permit these seasons to overlap when it come to canine companions.

If my dog got shot because I didn't adhere to the local customs, then that's understandable. The responsibility is on ME to keep MY dog safe; like with some towns I've been to, there's an unspoken standard that dogs are not permitted on other people's private property and could be shot without a warning. However if someone is dumb enough to shoot my dog without me being aware of the traditions of the area, or falsely believed he was running deer, then I would be royally ticked.

Haven't happened to me yet, since usually everyone's aware of my dog, but there are family members who share these stories.

Thanks. I don't know anyone who is stupid enough to shoot a dog with a radio or GPS collar either, but it's safer to ask.

I feel sorry for people who own West and East Siberian Laikas then. They are basically hunting strains of huskies, bred for good nose instead of weight-bearing endurance. I am not aware of any in Canada, but I know a few in the States.

Yes, that's why I asked. Usually bark-pointers range, outside of the human voice, about 500 yards or so away from their owners, then bark up a storm once they locate a game for people to find them. So to someone unaware of these type of working dogs, they would be running at large and harassing wildlife. Of course, if I was running hounds and lurchers, I doubt there would be a problem; however when one have a spitz-type that looks like a miniature Elkhound or a mutant yote, it's another story altogether.

Looks like an orange vest is in order; or a tracking collar.
    Ok lets head this off at the pass there are enuff posts that go to sh*t slinging without adding to it. I'm going to make a few observations and comments instead it is not my intent to "attack" you at this point. #1.. I agree with what 835 said good advice listen to him if you are worried about it. #2.. As for "non' bird dog types I spent many years working the cattle ranges with heeler, shephard, collie type dogs (round up is usually dead in the middle of prime hunting time) that would actually apear to be harasing stock in their work and never had a problem with them either. ut better safe than sorry. #3..YOU didn't stir up strong feelings (although they are deffinately there) you asked a legit. question and got some answers from people who know a little about what they are talking about but as you will see there are always some who SEEM to want to stir up sh*t or simply dont think before thy post( attack a mans devotion for his dog(s) {and I am not talking about our post} and expect a strong response). Very interesting concept in bird hunting I thought I'd seen it all. Thanks for the "education"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

think about what you would do if a dog came running and barking towards you in the bush( Make sure he has a coller on ) or who knows what happens

Quote Originally Posted by bad ducker View Post
    think about what you would do if a dog came running and barking towards you in the bush( Make sure he has a coller on ) or who knows what happens
    I would HOPE no IDIOT would pull the trigger on a dog just because it was running and barking in the bush....or there would be a few dead cow dogs around and possably some western justace handed out, not to mention baying hounds and POed Houndsmen. Ggood thing most people handle guns responsably.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 05-31-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Very interesting concept in bird hunting I thought I'd seen it all. Thanks for the "education"
    Heh. I grew up around "rednecks," much to Vancouverites' dismay, and shot a few back in the days; but never really took interest in the traditional hunt-point-retrieve culture for some reason; and shooting birds from the roadside wasn't my idea of fun or "proper." It wasn't until we had a Shiba pursued a bear I took an interest in hunting with dogs. There's a certain rush running to catch up with your dog. Sure, it's a cheapshot to shoot them in the trees, but if it makes the gears rotate in the dog's head and it's legal, why not?

Also, I had the fortunes of watching a few coyotedog chases as well before a big stink was made about about a few idiots letting the yotes being torn to pieces instead of a clean kill, then the houndsmen were sold out to please the anti-hunting crowd. So I just lost interest in hunting altogether, and just stuck with owning pets.

It wasn't until a friend from West Virginia pointed out Norwegians are used to flush birds, tree grouses and squirrels, run raccoons at night and are decent rabbit dogs in his corner of the continent, I was exposed to the concept. I didn't really consider it as an option for Canadians until my dog treed a black bear a few weeks ago. So I would like to get back into birding again.
    Last edited by littleheelers; 05-31-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bad ducker View Post

A lot of hunting dogs do not wear collars as it poses a risk to getting caught in thick brush....injury.....or worse. dogs have tattoos and microchips for id. But remember bad ducker there are packs of hunger wolves everywhere so you might want to stay out of the woods if your worried about a domestic dog barking at you.

If you are hunting with them and right nearby then no problem.I never let my dogs get out of shotgun range,what is the point of having a dog flush birds 200 yards out?
    I have also shot a few that were running moose ,Indian rez dogs in a pack of 15 ,fair game to me.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by littleheelers View Post
    Heh. I grew up around "rednecks," much to Vancouverites' dismay, and shot a few back in the days; but never really took interest in the traditional hunt-point-retrieve culture for some reason; and shooting birds from the roadside wasn't my idea of fun or "proper." It wasn't until we had a Shiba pursued a bear I took an interest in hunting with dogs. There's a certain rush running to catch up with your dog. Sure, it's a cheapshot to shoot them in the trees, but if it makes the gears rotate in the dog's head and it's legal, why not?

Exactly, Now i on the other hand do like hunting behing a more traditional Dog but,,,, We're doing it for the same reason. And that is soley to "Watch the gears spin in the dogs head" I think that is why all pooch hunters hunt behind dogs, I know it is for me!

Although i would be interested in hunting your way, You can run after yer dogs! I'll stick to walking the roads and letting Chase put'em up and bring'em back. And i'll do the walkin and shootin'

It's legal, and its safe as long as you take some pre cautions so get at it!

And Foxton,, Way to "Put a shot over the bow!" Hope it works

I agree, If a hunter were to shoot a bird dog he would definitely be asking for some real trouble. I run a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon on grouse during deer season and always have a high viz vest on him just in case some idiot thinks he is a coyote (even though they look nothing the same). I personally have never heard of a dog being shot purposefully, but always safer on the side of caution. Good luck.