Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting culture in B.C.?

Hunting culture in B.C.?

I am a recent transplant in British Columbia from the Prairie provinces.

I noticed the seasons overlap in the Regulations. I am aware leashed dogs can accompany hunters while tracking ungulates, however I am wondering how understandings are the locals regarding free-roaming dogs during deer season?

I know where I grew up in Alberta, sometimes deer hunters will shoot a dog running at large even though the owners were only using them for flushing birds, rabbiting or act as coyote decoys. The reason why I am asking is because I own a bark-pointer and would like to hone in his innate ability to spot birds and hold them.
    Last edited by littleheelers; 05-30-2011 at 07:52 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting culture in B.C.?

Quote Originally Posted by littleheelers View Post

I noticed the seasons overlap in the Regulations. I am aware leashed dogs can accompany hunters while tracking ungulates, however I am wondering how understandings are the locals?

I know where I grew up in Alberta, sometimes deer hunters will shoot a dog running at large even though the owners were only using them for flushing birds, rabbiting or act as coyote decoys. The reason why I am asking is because I own a bark-pointer and would like to hone in his innate ability to spot birds and hold them.
    Welcome to B.C.

What's a "bark-pointer?"...and how do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    Welcome to B.C.

What's a "bark-pointer?"...and how do they work?
    Good question. Wouldn't that be a pointer that barks instead of pointing??

Ah, they (feists, elkhounds, bear dogs, huskies, et cetera) tree a grouse or a pheasant, and bark until the hunter catches up. I had a Shiba that would do this sans the barking; he was a good hunting dog. The Swedish Vallhund I have would naturally do this with crows and bears, so it wouldn't be too difficult to imprint this behaviour on upland games.

Here's a good video of one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcioZdmniVk

WOW. Watched this video and all I can say about that dog is, that he is one persistent barking son of a gun. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by nolimits View Post
    WOW. Watched this video and all I can say about that dog is, that he is one persistent barking son of a gun. Nice.
    Yes, that's why I am asking what's the customs and traditions are like in British Columbia since every province differs. Even if there's nothing in the Regulations addressing these issues, there are unwritten rules; and sometimes there's a cultural misunderstanding, especially when it comes to unorthodox methods.
    Last edited by littleheelers; 05-30-2011 at 08:37 PM.

I noticed the seasons overlap in the Regulations. I am aware leashed dogs can accompany hunters while tracking ungulates, however I am wondering how understandings are the locals regarding free-roaming dogs during deer season?

In B.C. it is illegal to shoot a dog for chasing deer or any other wildlife! On my property I can shoot a dog for chasing my livestock but not for running deer!

Only a Peace Officer can leglaly shoot a dog for pursuing wildlife illegally. However there are still some guys that shoot dogs they see. My suggestion is a bright orange vest or large reflective orange collar for the dog. That should let even the dumbest know that you have a bird dog working.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Only a Peace Officer can leglaly shoot a dog for pursuing wildlife illegally. However there are still some guys that shoot dogs they see. My suggestion is a bright orange vest or large reflective orange collar for the dog. That should let even the dumbest know that you have a bird dog working.
    I was wondering about that. Technically it's illegal to shoot a dog in Alberta too, unless one is a conservation officer; but people still do it anyway. "Shovel up and shut up" mantra, albeit uncommon, is not unheard of among the rural folks. Thanks!

I've shot grouse over dogs for 52 years in the woods during deer and moose season and never had a problem....Anyone shoots my bird dog while i'm with it better save a round for me cuz I'm coming for them.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.