Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: aging grouse

Re: aging grouse

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    I find it kinda funny to hear a man like Gatehouse use a sentence with "Delicate" in it!! Anyways, try battering grouse and deep frying it!! MMMM Good!! Or fry it with some bacon and Pork and Beans!! Or BBQ'in it wrapped in foil with some garlic seasoning and pepper. Moosin
    Heck, I was a pastry chef at one time, too.

Grouse meat is pretty delicate. Lots of guys use recipes like yours, either breaded or battered, or they wrap it in bacon. All that stuff is great but if I can, I like to treat grouse breast very gently and pan fry it, then make a sauce form the pan drippings and some chicken stock, herbs and butter, and that's it. The grouse flavour certainly stands out more than when they are wrapped in bacon/breaded etc.

But it's all good, no matter how it's cooked!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

sea salt, grape seed oil [has little flavor and can take a higher heat], Yukon gold potatoes, onions, fry up on the old wood stove with adding the whole grouse breasts a little later.

personally, i don't my mind a chewy grouse breast with great flavor.

edit, i agree with Gatehouse, "But it's all good, no matter how it's cooked!.. "
    Last edited by SimilkameenSlayer; 05-15-2011 at 04:48 AM.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

I concur with previous posts - if your grouse is dry it is overcooked.
    Try this - split grouse either side of the breastbone and flatten - called "spatchcocking" them. You can cut them right in half just as well if they are easier for you to handle.
    Marinade for 3 or so hours with olive oil, rice wine vinegar and herbs, oregano and thyme from our garden normally
    Cook on the BBQ until just barely done - medium or until juices are just clear
    If this does not do it for you - save the grouse for me.

2 schools of thought...... an old Brit that mentered my early dog training always said "Ang oum oop by the nick till the gots fall dun and plug the oss ole un their fit 't eat". GREAT dog trainer not much of a chef in my oppinion, My take is fresh grouse brest cubed, nice seasoned flour coating in hot oil drain and a good dip....Grouse McNuggets nothing better!!
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

cut your birds into sections and throw it in a pan of onions and garlic, brown the grouse on the outside then throw it in your tomato sauce and simmer for a good long while on low heat and serve on top of your favourite pasta. my fav way of eating it and it falls off the bone tender and still u know your eating grouse but it is not over powering

Make sure he is a mature grouse ie full curl beak and all, those are the tastey ones aged on the hoof...lol

Quote Originally Posted by jrhunter View Post
    I've found that cooking really slowly and not for too long will make them a little more tender.
    sounds like you are using one of those new microwave crockpots...
    "You Fat Man, Speak Up"

Another option is trying them as a chicken replacement for indian butter chicken - if you want to try a really easy method just get the jar of butter chicken sauce from superstore, cube the grouse breast, mix and cook in a slow cooker for a few hours - fantastic.

cut grouse breast off bone. Dip in egg ,dredge in a mixture of onion soup mix,flour,graulated garlic,paparicka. Pan fry in olive oil,use a cast iron frying pan.
    deer chops also good ,cooked this way!

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Make sure he is a mature grouse ie full curl beak and all, those are the tastey ones aged on the hoof...lol
    Ha Ha! That's what I thought when I clicked on this thread!