Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: aging grouse

aging grouse

Got a few grouse last year , found that they all seem a bit tough and dry . Should I be aging them ,if so how and for how long . Ive heard that you should age birds in the fridge for three days , but Im concerned about food poisoning . Ive tried marinating them , baking and frying . Any recipes or cooking instructions would be apreciated as well as opinions on aging .
    My wife says she doesn't want too eat them any more and thinks I should stop hunting them {yeah right} so any help would be greatly apreciated lol.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: aging grouse

Ive never had a problem before (needing aging).

I just cut them up into small cubes and fry them, then toss them with some bbq sauce. Delish.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

grouse is a dry tough bird, i found wraping it in bacon really helps, my favorite is

3 stripes of bacon,box of stove top stuffing, and both side of the breast and tin foil to wrap it in.
    -first lay the bacon down put one side of the breast down on top of it
    -cook the stove top and put a spoon full or so on top of the breast
    -then put the other side of the breast on top of the stove top and wrap the bacon then wrap every thing in tin foil and cook it and eat it so for thats the best i found for cooking grouse.
    sarg

I personally think grouse should age at least overnight, to make sure that any rigor mortis is over with. I always remove the guts before aging, although some guys don't. If it's dry, then it means you are cooking it too long. Grouse meat is lean and delicate, it shouldn't be cooked too much. It should be heated through but still juicy. I tend to cook them medium.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

If I take a deer this year should I age that ?
    I kill things and eat them.

Yes, you should age deer. PROPER aging improves all meat, unless it's been cut up into small pieces and deboned on the spot Then the benefits of aging are less.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I have eaten grouse minutes after shooting them and never had a tough bird. Generally they are days later, or that evening. I like they on the BBQ or fried, but the way I like it best is cut into cubes and shake and bake , then on tray into oven. These little nuggets don't last long I had to do up probably 8 breasts one night just for snack food around the camp.mmmmmmmmmm

I've found that cooking really slowly and not for too long will make them a little more tender.

I like to cut them in thin strips and fry them in a wok with a bunch of spices. Bake some fries and you got yourself a nice little lunch. Ruffed grouse are the best, if you start getting fool hens and spruce grouse definately need to add a liitle chicken stock when frying, turns out nice!
    I eat. Therefore I HUNT!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I personally think grouse should age at least overnight, to make sure that any rigor mortis is over with. I always remove the guts before aging, although some guys don't. If it's dry, then it means you are cooking it too long. Grouse meat is lean and delicate, it shouldn't be cooked too much. It should be heated through but still juicy. I tend to cook them medium.
    I find it kinda funny to hear a man like Gatehouse use a sentence with "Delicate" in it!! Anyways, try battering grouse and deep frying it!! MMMM Good!! Or fry it with some bacon and Pork and Beans!! Or BBQ'in it wrapped in foil with some garlic seasoning and pepper. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"