Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to start training my seven month old for hunting........TIPS....

vortex hunter Guest

how to start training my seven month old for hunting........TIPS....

Hey everyone

I just got a purebred rednose pit and his scent skills are amazing I read alot about pitty's and found that they are great for hunting..... I would use him to flush game A.K.A deer / cougars just wondering about what and how to get him started on training for hunting.. what did you seasoned dog hunters do to start your dogs.....any tips would be great ...........thanks Nick

2. Site Sponsor

Re: how to start training my seven month old for hunting........TIPS....

Get the Gun dog video from Cabelas "Gundog training Spaniels" by Ken Roebuck
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

vortex hunter Guest

thanks Foxton gundogs my guy already has been around guns going off and he was scared at first but not now....

have the laws in bc changed were allowed to use dogs on deer now thought only for bears and cougars birds

Quote Originally Posted by mjmbc View Post
    have the laws in bc changed were allowed to use dogs on deer now thought only for bears and cougars birds
    I believe you can use dogs as long as they are leashed. But might want to check it out with the powers to be.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

OK well that would be the only issue that that video would be helpfull with unless you could convert the bird training to big game somehow.
    "BORN TO HUNT"

FLUSH DEER???? I don't think for a minute you would want to try that. You better get some reading material or talk to a few people about chasing animals around with any dog,except bears and cougars. Good way to get it shot. At best, you can use dogs to track wounded deer in this province, WHILE ON A LEAD! On the topic of using a Pitbull for tracking deer, in a prestigious tracking trial in the States a Pitbull x Lab, won the event by a large margin. It seemed the hunting ability of the Lab and the outright tenaciousness attitude of "the never giveup" of the Pitbull made this odd blend a superb tacker.

Look up blood tracking for hounds. My 3.5 month coonhound/lab just pointed his first deer, and scent tracked it for a couple clicks. Of course hounds are bred to track...pitbulls might not, and if they find a deer will they try to attack it?
    And really blood tracking is only for bow hunters or bad shots, lol

vortex hunter Guest

well I want to have my pit on his 20ft lead attached to me and from what I read and I have read alot pitty's are great at tracking and hunting.... But the best watch dog for my two year old and he found a coyote last night and wanted to eat him lol ...anyways some people like hound some poodles or sheps but I like a pit and to each is there own BOY"S I just was wanting some help on how to get my dog going for hunting cause I do wanna use him for cats and bear also ...just a young family man looking for some honest help....Nick

Nick I am not sure where you heard this. Pits are used for hunting but as catch dogs on hogs mostly. The don't usually have the stamina needed or the desire to trail to do much as far as hunt.
    A catch dog is released after being walked into a bayed up hog. the pit will grab the hog by its nose or ear and hold it for the handler.
    If you want to use it on bear that would be easy, almost any dog with balls will chase a bear, 1/2 the time if you are sight running a bear the bear will pop a tree. Cats on the other hand, you will have to find a freshtrack and start walking. When that track is smoking hot the dog will want to chase the cat.
    Pits where bred for one thing and that wasn't hunting so good luck.
    Doug