Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to start training my seven month old for hunting........TIPS....

Re: how to start training my seven month old for hunting........TIPS....

Im sure someone else can verifiy this but I think it is a max 2 meter lead for deer hunting.
    Regardless, hunting with a dog no matter what breed is great. Just keep an eye on your dog as well as the bush and their amazing sense of smell and sound will tell you way more by watching them then only relying on your senses. If you think you hear something then take a look at your dog and he'll tell you if hes heard that same thing. This is only effective if you have trained your dog to sit and be quiet while watching deer etc.... I think the only way to be sure is to get him into a wildlife rich area and see how he reacts and then train him to act the way you want... sit beside you and watch in silence.

vortex hunter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    Nick I am not sure where you heard this. Pits are used for hunting but as catch dogs on hogs mostly. The don't usually have the stamina needed or the desire to trail to do much as far as hunt.
    A catch dog is released after being walked into a bayed up hog. the pit will grab the hog by its nose or ear and hold it for the handler.
    If you want to use it on bear that would be easy, almost any dog with balls will chase a bear, 1/2 the time if you are sight running a bear the bear will pop a tree. Cats on the other hand, you will have to find a freshtrack and start walking. When that track is smoking hot the dog will want to chase the cat.
    Pits where bred for one thing and that wasn't hunting so good luck.
    Doug
    Thanks and actually the thing that everyone thinks that pit were bred for fighting is funny it's a myth ....big myth and I will try my dog out on some bear just wanting tips to train my dog folks not have judgement cause I HAVE A PIT.... thought this site was to help folks learn NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THERE DOG.........and thanks for your help jason.......

Thanks and actually the thing that everyone thinks that pit were bred for fighting is funny it's a myth ....big myth and I will try my dog out on some bear just wanting tips to train my dog folks not have judgement cause I HAVE A PIT.... thought this site was to help folks learn NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THERE DOG

No one is discriminating against your dogs.
    Educate us and explain is what and where the pit bull was bred for hunting. The only time I have heard a use for hunting was as catch dogs. Most of these are not bred for that reason they are just culls that are picked up at the pound as catching hogs can be hard on the life expectancy of the dog.

As other have said, you can't and shouldn't use your dog to flush deer.
    By that post, you seem to be a rookie when it comes to hunting dog training. There's a lot to learn!

I'm shure if you stayed on top of your training your pit bull could be a good hunting dog. I haven't seen one used for hunting before, but I'm shure it's possible wit a lot of work and dedication. You already have the dog, so you might as well make the most out of him. Your dog will excel in certain areas, focus on those first.

You should start off by doing a lot of reading. I have a DK so I most of my research was focused around that breed but I'm shure a lot of it could help you out.

Check out http://www.navhda.org/ and I suggest you get their "Green Book" from here: http://navhdastore.org/

You'll probably find a lot of help on this forum: http://gundogforum.com/

I've bought some gear off here: http://altmoor.com
    I bought the Drahthaar Puppy Manual from them, there's a lot of great info in it that focuses on DD's, but you could probably also use it for your pit.

Also, look into force fetch.

There's a lot more good info out there, this is just some of the stuff I've read and looked into.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vortex hunter View Post
    just wanting tips to train my dog folks not have judgement cause I HAVE A PIT.... thought this site was to help folks learn NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THERE DOG
    I don't see anyone discriminating against you for your breed of choice. Hunting/tracking isn't specifically a natural trait for the breed, but following a scent is a very natural thing for any dog to do! i don't know where you're located, but you may want to look at getting into some tracking classes. I did some with my dog recently, and I was impressed at how well she picked it up (and how much she enjoyed it).

One of the posters above made a very valid point, and that is: you need to work on getting your dog to sit in silence. A young pup is going to stuggle with this, so a good sit/stay, conditioned relaxation, or 'crash' command is invaluable.

Not sure on the conditions you plan on hunting in, but be aware that pit bulls are not the greatest in cold weather. A neoprene vest may be a worthwhile investment to keep the pooch warm.

Best of luck,
    Kayte
    (BTW, I have a pit bull too )

vortex hunter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mijinkal View Post
    As other have said, you can't and shouldn't use your dog to flush deer.
    By that post, you seem to be a rookie when it comes to hunting dog training. There's a lot to learn!

I'm shure if you stayed on top of your training your pit bull could be a good hunting dog. I haven't seen one used for hunting before, but I'm shure it's possible wit a lot of work and dedication. You already have the dog, so you might as well make the most out of him. Your dog will excel in certain areas, focus on those first.

You should start off by doing a lot of reading. I have a DK so I most of my research was focused around that breed but I'm shure a lot of it could help you out.

Check out http://www.navhda.org/ and I suggest you get their "Green Book" from here: http://navhdastore.org/

You'll probably find a lot of help on this forum: http://gundogforum.com/

I've bought some gear off here: http://altmoor.com
    I bought the Drahthaar Puppy Manual from them, there's a lot of great info in it that focuses on DD's, but you could probably also use it for your pit.

Also, look into force fetch.

There's a lot more good info out there, this is just some of the stuff I've read and looked into.
    Good luck!
    Yeah I am a rookie at hunting with a dog thats why I was asking for TIPS not comments and as of deer I didn't know that people dont flush them with dog's but bear and cats lets learn more I say I am Experianced at advanced dog training I work as a k-9 unit security gaurd our sheps are trained to the nine the exact same as a cop dog.. so I can and will teach my pitty to find those black bears and cougars .....thanks for those links......

Pitbulls can make excellent hunting dogs. I had two for 14 years and they saved my ass three times from stalking bears and cougars. The key is getting the dog to love and respect you. Basic commands (sit stay come quiet) are mandatory. Start off by buying some predator scent at a hunting store. When your out in the bush have someone distract and hold your dog on a leash. Then walk 30 yards into thick bush and pour scent on a stuffed animal. Using a rope or string pull the stuffed animal throug the bush going zigzag and looping directions. After 200 yards dump more scent and put animal in low branches of a tree. Circle widely back in a different direction than you came. Take your dog on a lead and walk it over the start of the scent trail. the dog should pick up the trail if not cut the trail back and forth till he does. On the trail offer lots of encouragement when he's going the right way and say nothing when he's not. Let him figure it out. If he gets to the end reward him with a treat. Repeat this in different terrain and weather conditions and your dog will track well. Pitbulls are sight hunters and will be on a bear as soon as they see it. It could be life or death if you cannot call it off or distract the dog at the wrong time. Keep him on a lead with a second person armed until you tHink he's ready. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    No one is discriminating against your dogs.
    Educate us and explain is what and where the pit bull was bred for hunting. The only time I have heard a use for hunting was as catch dogs. Most of these are not bred for that reason they are just culls that are picked up at the pound as catching hogs can be hard on the life expectancy of the dog.
    Wrong. Pitbull is actually a landrace of similar looking dogs. Depending on the strain, it could be used as a herding dog, a hog dog, to bay hogs or catch them, to hunt regular games or for protection. They were historically farmdogs with generalist attribute. Sure they may not be as specialized as hunting breeds, but to assume they are only bred to fight is naive.

In short, yes, pitbulls are used in dogfights, but it largely depends on who breed them. Most of the hog dogs in the South are from specialized bloodlines which are not proper for a fight ring. If one wants hog dogs, they need to be socially tolerant of other dogs since several of them are employed. Fighting strains are not socially tolerant.

Original post: It's illegal to run dogs on deer. However there's nothing in the regulations about using them to track spoor being illegal. What do I means? In Norway, they use bandhund (literally "leashed dog") to track moose since the hunting season is too short and the forests are too thick for a man to track them by himself. No, they don't track blood trails, see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOF0F1N6y1o

Tips? I offer none, only "hunting dogs" I had personal experience with were used on upland games.
    Last edited by littleheelers; 06-09-2011 at 07:42 PM.