Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HUNTING ARGENTINA - Spears, Arrows and Bullets -

Re: HUNTING ARGENTINA - Spears, Arrows and Bullets -

Wild!Keep the tales coming.
    Some funky looking,star wars like critters.
    I would have liked to see a picture of the jeep,after it's dance with the Bull.

Big Bore you are friggin awesome, just a killing machine, love it. PS does your wife/gf have a younger sister?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandA View Post
    Big Bore you are friggin awesome, just a killing machine, love it. PS does your wife/gf have a younger sister?
    No sisters, nope. But she really has gotten into hunting. I've never seen her so excited to go and try to kill a bear! Heading out this morning hopefully to bag one for her! I'll tell her to keep her eye open if any of her friends go single.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Good right up, Dave, awesome tale tellling. I love the spear action.

Good stuff Dave! Thanks for taking us along!
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

April 27, 2011
    Wow! Just when I thought things couldn’t get more exciting. Today was incredible! We woke at around 9 am to a tap on the door saying, “Wake up! Russian Boar Time!” with a thick Spanish accent. We had our breakfast of eggs and toast and coffee, and looking out the window we saw some clouds, a good reprieve for some of the heat. Where we are hunting is very dry which is far better than humid. Today it got up to 30 degrees here. Most days around 25; which is very nice. This is their September and to the people here it is cool. Most are wearing pants and long sleeves around here.

Most animals at Anuritay Ranch Argentina are completely wild here on 20,000 acres. There are some high fences for the more expensive animals like most serious hunting ranches. If you have a world record 580 score Red Stag that sells for $80,000US, you want to protect your investment as you have probably had it for ten years. To some this (high fence) is not hunting, and I would agree in some ways, which is why for this hunt I chose to hunt the rest of the ranch. This ranch has been around for 19 years, it’s a business, and a hard one to run well. In 2005, Paco was the SCI professional hunter of the year, for the entire world. It is a great achievement and it means a lot to him. However he takes hunting very seriously and doesn’t agree with all SCI and realizes the truth behind some of the smoke. It’s a good thing for promoting his business and he has worked very hard to build the greatest hunting lodge in South America. Some ranch owners BS you with the quality of the trophies they have, but Paco insists on only taking absolute prime specimens, and won’t let you shoot just anything you see. All of the trophies so far have been absolutely fantastic.

Back to the Russian boar. I have been hoping for one of these to add its angry face to my wall for some time since I saw one in a magazine a couple years back when I first started hunting. Yeah, this isn’t Russia, but I highly doubt I will ever make it over there hunting. But who knows, maybe one day I’ll have a chance. The gauchos mounted their horses, and the dogs were tongue out, wagging their tails and we got onto the truck to head out for the day.

Checking the baits we heard the, “Paco! Paco! Paco! Yahoooo!” Followed by Paco's response on the radio, asking what the dogs had found. Unfortunately it was a spotted boar, not what I wanted. We already took our 4 boars on this hunt, and I wanted a pure Russian boar. One color only was the translated response from Paco to the boys. We would have to round the dogs up and keep looking. Luckily one of the three dogs will come when called, so they call that one, and leave the other two, when the other two are alone for a while they quickly retreat to their masters on horseback.

A half hour past and the radio crackled. “Paco! Puma!” I heard. Now, I speak very little Spanish, but I know what a puma is. To those that don’t know, puma, means cougar! They had found a puma, and it was time to go! We had been baiting for some time, tying live small goats out to pasture, hoping a puma would attack, but it was hard to believe that Puma hunting can be so productive in one area, like Paco’s ranch. On average 25 puma are killed per year at this ranch and surrounding farms. Paco has a deal to pay $500 to anyone who calls him telling him of a Cougar killing their animals in the area “if” the cat is caught and killed. I had decided on taking any decent cat that was a good representative of the species, or what is called a silver medal cougar. This means any cougar we come across that is full grown. It isn’t guaranteed to be record book, but just a good South American Puma. Male or female doesn’t matter to him as there are just so many of them here. These look similar to our cougars, and I believe are the exact same species, but on average they are just over half of the size. I am guessing genetics, just like some areas in BC. Some areas have bigger genetics and some have smaller. South American Puma is a smaller species, but something still worth taking, if given the chance. Especially when you have the chance to face one, face to face, with nothing but a spear.

Spear hunting is by far the most exciting hunting I have ever imagined. It’s hard to describe why, but it just feels equal and incredibly dangerous. You versus the animal, your speed and wits, versus its teeth, tusks, or claws. They may be smaller these puma, but don’t let their size fool you. They will latch their claws over and over again into your flesh while trying to crack your skull and eat your brain! At the same time their back legs will be spinning, trying to tear your intestines out like a butcher making chorizo sausage. Most of the time though, they don’t want to fight, they just want to find a way out.

70% of the time the cat stays on the ground, in the bush, 30% of the time it trees. As we heard the barks, we made our way to a man on horseback, pointing his hand up into the tree! “Quickly! Quickly! While it is low in the tree!” he exclaimed! I grabbed my spear, the long one, with no stop on it, and a smaller blade than the one used for pigs. This one does less damage on the pelts, and it works well for puma. Both spear types are incredibly lethal and something you must beware of, running to the face off. One wrong move, your pants get caught on a thorny bush, you trip on an ant hill, or you fall into a fox hole, and you will die out here with no air lift support, and 90 kilometers to the hospital, should you fall onto that blade.
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

This Puma went to the tree. He stayed about twelve feet above the ground and hissed and bared his teeth at us. Feeling the need to work quickly before he would leave the low area of the tree, I moved towards the very defensive cat. If you don’t get them while they are low, you have to climb the tree. I felt more comfortable on the ground. I then managed to snap two pictures of the cat still very alive. But it was go time, spear in hand, I readied and closed the distance. At two feet from the spear point, the cat turned to look at the barking dog opposite of myself, at which point I thrust my blade toward the heart of the cat! Somehow as the point neared the cat it sensed it and ducked and backed up. I caught the cat high and in the front of the shoulder. With a deep push I got the top of the lungs and twisted the spear head to finish him. He sank further away as the spear head poked through him. I handed the spear to Paco and he gave me a second spear. He held the cat against the tree with the spear so he wouldn’t slide down the spear and I went under the limb the cat was hanging on to mercy kill him with a spear to the heart. A perfect thrust sunk deep into its chest and the puma twisted and bit and tore at the spear, breaking its teeth. After twenty seconds of wild fight, the cat died and I felt the warm trickle of blood down my forearm from the spear I was holding. This was one crazy experience, I still have a hard time believing I speared a puma!

Sometimes you just get lucky I guess. I got my cat, and it was a very good Puma for Argentina and South America. I am happily looking forward to the time when I get to export my Puma from the country. Now it was back to the Russian boar.

The Spanish words came over the radio and Paco looked at me in the eye and said, “Are you ready for a pure wild Russian boar?” Now let me explain something. Regular wild boars are bigger, maybe 300 lbs on average, but getting as big as 500lbs very occasionally. The Russian boar’s here are a tad smaller, around 200lbs. The one I was about to face off with looked around 250lbs. That being said, they are far more dangerous. They are faster, more agile, and definitely one of the most risky animals of any hunting in South America. Sure, if a buffalo gets a hold of you, you are in real trouble, but the chance of this guy getting you and seriously hurting you is big trouble Joe. We got off the truck and as I looked Paco in the eyes, his eyes told me something different. As if to say, you are in for a fight.

I rushed towards the boar under the 15 foot tall trees. There is about five foot of head clearance from the thorny branches and one very pissed off angry Russian boar charging, snapping its tusks and snarling, a sound I have never imagined, even in a night mare. This wasn’t going to be easy. This thing was fast, and crazed! It actually looked angry!!! As one dog snapped at the tail, the boar would spin and charge, slashing with its 4 inch long fangs at the dog. Then another, and another! This pig was VERY upset. I was concerned at this point. Standing 20 feet away I wondered how to safely close the distance and yet somehow keep myself safe. Even Paco was standing further away. As the dogs snapped at the boar, I would look at the boars eyes and all the time, it was watching us. I remembered Paco’s advice. Keep the spear short and don’t stab at it, but hold the spear and your ground as the pig comes at you. This boar meant business. I then consulted with Paco, what do we do if he comes again? He laughed and with his usual rough smoky voice said, “When the boar comes, you put the spear into it.” He cackled to himself and stood back, getting ready with his spear if there might be a problem. The boar moved right a few steps and then left, angling towards me. He stopped. “NOW!” “When?” I thought to myself. The boar had sat down for one second only. The boar saw me coming and charged! He squealed a deep and angry loud snarl as he ran at me! And time froze for a moment as I remembered Paco’s words. Hold the pig with the spear, anywhere you can on his face or body. The pig ducked my blade and the point connected in front of the shoulder high and angled down towards the lungs. It let out a blood curdling squeal and my eyes went wide! I could see the whites of his eyes and he looked down right pissed off! Snapping his teeth at me trying to get at my legs. I pushed the 4 inch wide blade deeper into the body, hoping to hold the pig and tip him over. He fell against a tree and Paco’s spear connected two seconds later. I traded my pierced spear to Juan for a third spear and placed a perfect spear into his heart. I have never heard as loud a sound come from an animal, this thing did not just squeal like a stuck pig, it sounded like a demon possessed pterodactyl. This pig was dying and 20 seconds which seemed like an hour later, it was all over. All I can say is that was insane. I have jumped from planes many times, from bridges, with cords tied to my legs, done wheelies at 120km/h over the Golden Ears Bridge, and there is nothing that has released so much adrenaline, into my veins as these spearing experiences. But it was over, and it was incredible!

At lunch Paco came to Stewart and me with a deal. A few more animals each at a very reduced rate. We came to agreement and I look forward to the next few days. It should make for a very interesting next few days. In the end, I leave with a South American bow slam. A tad more than I had anticipated spending, but this is just too much fun and I might not make it back for a few more years. No regrets is the idea, right?