Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HUNTING ARGENTINA - Spears, Arrows and Bullets -

Re: HUNTING ARGENTINA - Spears, Arrows and Bullets -

Almost time for another chapter?
    Keep the tale alive!

Well bacon hunter,when you get back to bc lets see if you can kill a big old griz with that big spear. that would be an experance to see, are you up to it ?

No. But I'll start with a black bear. Come along for the ride if ya got the Cahones my friend! Dead serious. You're more than welcome. Or we could always spear a cougar, but that would just be insane!!! I'm in if you are! But maybe, just maybe, I've been there!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

April 24, 2011

As we missed the dove’s yesterday morning, we started out early this morning. Feeling slightly nauseous from the fernet and coke light last night I woke feeling a tad groggy and not on my game. But for the great shooting, I would give it my best.

Forty minutes of wing shooting produced 148 birds with 250 shots. The majority were in a 20 minute window of absolute madness. I have heard it was good here in Argentina, but it literally rains birds with so many it’s hard to choose which bird to shoot. This of course is compared to this evening’s hunt, where I shot 900 shots and killed 460 something birds. You would think the birds would thin out, but they don’t, each day is the same. There are a few different things shooters do. Some hunters just try to get 100 % success rate. They only take the sure shot, ones that are close and ones flying in the direction they are best at. A guy may be better shooting oncoming and left, rather than oncoming and right. My thinking is to learn all different shots and try for every one of these little peckers. Far, near, oncoming and going, some even straight up in the air! I did manage one parakeet and a couple of black birds tonight; however I wasn’t taking things very seriously, which is why my average went down. I shot left handed for several boxes, one handed for some, upside down gun, off the shoulder free hand, from the hip, and even behind the back, which is quite painful as a shell and hot gas is expelled into your lower back, not to mention raked at the same time by the semi auto extractor. Dove hunting is lots of fun for sure. It’s just losing some of its excitement after so many days and so many doves. However my friend Stewart is now on his game. He doesn’t do much wing shooting at home and now I have some competition. I’ll have to see what is the best I can shoot tomorrow, now that I’ve got all this experience.

With the bait of close to 1000 doves set we will head out for a night hunt tonight. Foxes, peccary, and wildcats will be out and about feeding. Each day they do a really good cleaning up the carcasses. We will see what the night produces.

During the day today, after the morning dove shoot, we went out looking for water buffalo. Arguably the most dangerous animal in South America, they often charge without warning, different from a cape buffalo which most of the time only charges once wounded. We soon found a nice buffalo, but it soon got onto our game and high tailed it out of the neighborhood. We went on searching for a bigger beast. Sure enough one was found for Stewart and he cocked and locked the 44 magnum ruger handgun with solids. The first shot to break the shoulder and the rest to finish it off, or if necessary, stop a charge. Not all would go as planned.

Using the shooting sticks and the handgun, the scope crosshairs were placed on the running animal, winding its way through very sparse bush. As the shot went off the animal really turned on the after burners. Two more shots were fired dropping the animal to the ground. He walked up to the 1700 pound brute and fired twice between the eyes still not killing it, one to the heart, a few bullets reloaded and 3 more to the heart lungs area. It was a tough animal. If the first shot goes well, it dies easy we are told, if not, it can live without a heart or breath for some time. I then pondered what my arrows would do to a beast of that power. In a few more days we will find out.

As I sit in the lodge with five enthusiastic Spanish speaking men sipping cold drinks, and falling on their knees as they watch the Boca Juniors winning their match, I wonder without the internet here, what the Canucks are doing in their series. Last I heard it was 3-1 games in the first series versus the hawks. Just about time for dinner, Buenos noches.

Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

hey Dave I'm off with the kids this morning for the weekend. looking forward to the good read when we're back.
    I'll let ya know how the dogs feet are sunday. They are hardend up pretty good.

Hoping to stick a bear myself this weekend! Arrows for now. Good luck digger

still having a blast i see,well the canucks are into the third round starting this weekend against san jose.they beat the blackhawks in 7 and nashville in 6.here is the canucks website so you can stay more updated
    http://canucks.nhl.com/
    thanks again for keeping us going with all your pics and stories bb
    i didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a friggin vegatarian

As someone else mentioned....Your having way too much fun, reality is gonna suck...if you ever return too it!
    As soon as I have an excess of time, and money, at the same time, I might just do this!
    Congrads again for living the good life!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!