Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Havalon knives?

Re: Havalon knives?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Bingo. For slicing only.
    What else do you do with a knife besides slice? The Havalon is excellent for slicing through tendons when removing lower leg joints.

Love the knife, hate the multi tool. Don’t get the multi tool, it’s a b!tc# to clean if you use it as a knife lol

good knife, just have to be careful changing blades

vicious little things....have to be diligent at all times or will start skinning yourself as well as your animal.

Quote Originally Posted by winchester284 View Post
    What else do you do with a knife besides slice? The Havalon is excellent for slicing through tendons when removing lower leg joints.
    Pry joints along with other things a havalon can't do .... like split wood for a fire if you're stuck spending a night under the stars.

Like I said they're great but they'll never replace my dedicated fixed blade hunting knife

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Pry joints along with other things a havalon can't do ....
    LOL,

Just finished taking lower legs off my second deer in two weeks with my trusty havalon. Maybe you need a lesson on how to do it, not really a 'pry' job unless you don't know what you are doing.

I also popped the head off both bucks and all with the same blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    LOL,

Just finished taking lower legs off my second deer in two weeks with my trusty havalon. Maybe you need a lesson on how to do it, not really a 'pry' job unless you don't know what you are doing.

Wow. Impressive. When i grow up i hope im that cool.

If you want to put your trust in the backcountry into a razor blade alone ... be my guest. You can go out there barefoot for all I care. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    LOL,

Yeah I haven't found a need to pry legs apart with a blade either.

I carried my old fixed blade Schrade as well as the havalon, and a multi tool.
    Gutted and skinned out a deer as a how to lesson for the guy who shot it (his first Deer, and the first one he's ever been involved with.)
    Other than my doofus brother losing his grip on a leg, and grabbing at it and slicing himself on the knife I was holding, it was an overall rewarding experience. I'm sold on it.

My only complaint was that it seemed to get gummed up with fat at one point and wasn't cutting very effectively. Wiped it off and it was good again.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

My take on these knives:
    i bought one for long hikes for deboneing deer , I have the havalon peronta bolt slightly larger handle than the peronta . Although I have not had the chance to debone yet I have field dressed and skinned one blacktail with it and the one blade is still good . In my opinion I find it too sharp for skinning every nick turns into a hole in the hide , maybe just need to get used to it but as far as field dressing removing bladder legs ect this thing is great and a very handy tool for your pack .
    wonder what’s over the next hill?