Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Havalon knives?

Re: Havalon knives?

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    I do not own one and never seen one used in person. I have looked at them in the store. When hunting I have 1 knife on me and 1 in my pack, and a small sharpener.

-I dont like the idea of relying on replacement blades.
    -I don't like the idea of breaking one off inside (can this happen) as mentioned earlier they look very light duty
    -I don't like the idea of now having to carry a few dull blades out of the bush after a job (do you carry them in another container-- how many guys pitch them in the bush??!!)
    -I do not like fixed blades (bad experiences with cheap ones not locking)
    -some models look very bulky
    - for camp work etc you still need to carry a heavier knife anyways

I could be totally off the mark with my opinion but I didn't want to waist money on the knife and a pack of blades to find out. I'll stick with my plane old fixed blades for now
    It seems you don't like a lot of things. You should try one of these Havalon knives. You could start a list of things you like!

I own all kinds of hunting knives and find I use my Havalon the most.

Quote Originally Posted by lowball View Post
    It seems you don't like a lot of things. You should try one of these Havalon knives. You could start a list of things you like!
    Very true I'm picky and OCD lol

Firebird, Put the used Havalon blade in the foil packet the new blade came out of. Stick it in the sheath that holds the knife and spare blades. Resharpen it when you get home on your Chef's Choice 120 diamond wheels sharpener if you like or dispose of it in metal recycle. Great knives but don't pry with them.

Though it is not a Havalon, I use the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite EDC (very similar). I was pretty skeptical on replaceable blades at first but I am a HUGE believer in them now. The blades come freaking sharp out the package with all the replaceable blades individually vacuum sealed and with a blade guard. I took it out for a week long hunt on Texada in September. One blade got through 4 bucks and it is still sharp. I am sure the Havalon are in similar standing but I am a true believer in the replaceable blades.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanS View Post
    Though it is not a Havalon, I use the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite EDC (very similar). I was pretty skeptical on replaceable blades at first but I am a HUGE believer in them now. The blades come freaking sharp out the package with all the replaceable blades individually vacuum sealed and with a blade guard. I took it out for a week long hunt on Texada in September. One blade got through 4 bucks and it is still sharp. I am sure the Havalon are in similar standing but I am a true believer in the replaceable blades.
    Actually the Havalon blades are actually sharper....although not as robust. I use both and highly recommend them to anyone that has enough brains to take good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Actually the Havalon blades are actually sharper....although not as robust. I use both and highly recommend them to anyone that has enough brains to take good advice.
    X2, have both and the havalon is the better unit.

Hey guys! Sorry to go off topic here , but I don't know how to post my own thread!? My friend and I are heading to Shuswap this weekend for a deer hunt. My friend who is a new hunter, has a family cabin in Celista (lucky, I know).
    I was hoping someone could give us some tips on where we should look to find my friend his first deer ? White tail or Muley , we are not picky! Thanks in advance and sorry for stealing the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    Firebird, Put the used Havalon blade in the foil packet the new blade came out of. Stick it in the sheath that holds the knife and spare blades. Resharpen it when you get home on your Chef's Choice 120 diamond wheels sharpener if you like or dispose of it in metal recycle. Great knives but don't pry with them.
    Bingo. For slicing only. It's why it will never replace my fixed blade hunting knife. Just a razor sharp addition to it hat I don't have to waste time sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Bingo. For slicing only. It's why it will never replace my fixed blade hunting knife. Just a razor sharp addition to it hat I don't have to waste time sharpening
    Did up a pig tonite, worked well for me.