Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Havalon knives?

Re: Havalon knives?

Got a bolt from Vantage point a couple of months ago. As said fast on the delivery. Tried out the 60A blades, the thicker ones and they are better but still broke 3 on my elk. Maybe got to ease up a little...
    HH

I have one, and agree that the blade snaps easily if not used properly. I would recommend keeping a leatherman on you for blade changes, as once your knife and hands get bloody and wet, it's a recipe for disaster trying to change out blades.

Also I found that the #22XT blades are great for gutting and skinning because they have a blunt tip that helps prevent accidental punctures and poke throughs. It's also 50% thicker then standard.

My son gutted and skinned a big bull moose used 4 blades great knife .Highly recommend .

OK, I know I'm going to need my flame suit for this, but... I don't get the point of this type of knife.

I've gutted and skinned 4 deer (assisted on 2 of them, actually) and a bunch of hare this year with my knife and all it ever needs is a couple of strokes through my little ceramic sharpener.

Also, I'm not really sure why everyone seems to think skinning is so difficult and that you need a scalpel to do it. I find it to be very easy. Hell, usually it is just a matter of pulling the skin and lightly running the knife along the seam. It comes right off, even when my knife is only half-assed sharp.

So, what's the obsession with these knives? The ongoing cost of replacement blades, the fragility of the blades, etc. seem to far outweigh the benefits.
    Last edited by hare_assassin; 10-30-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hare_assassin View Post
    OK, I know I'm going to need my flame suit for this, but... I don't get the point of this type of knife.

I've gutted and skinned 4 deer (assisted on 2 of them, actually) and a bunch of hare this year with my knife and all it ever needs is a couple of strokes through my little ceramic sharpener.

Also, I'm not really sure why everyone seems to think skinning is so difficult and that you need a scalpel to do it. I find it to be very easy. Hell, usually it is just a matter of pulling the skin and lightly running the knife along the seam. It comes right off, even when my knife is only half-assed sharp.

So, what's the obsession with these knives? The ongoing cost of replacement blades, the fragility of the blades, etc. seem to far outweigh the benefits.
    i completely agree with you for me i did a whole moose with a cheap $50 knife and a $15 dollar pocket sharpener. Skinning it was not difficult at all only ran the blade through the sharpener twice. No replacing the blades when my hands were all bloody. I can only imagine cutting myself replacing a blade when its bloody as well as my hands. then you have to dispose of the blades after. Fixed blade knives for me as well.

The Havalon is good, and so is the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite....I only broke a blade on the Havalon once and have done a dozen animals since with no issues. For tougher cutting I use the outdoor edge, my fixed blade knives are on my belt and get a lot of use around camp.

Valid points. I never really saw the benefit, but eventually also bought one.

One of the reasons is that it's a fad. It's a cool new thing to have.
    Also, Price. It's under $60 with a whole bunch of blades you never have to worry about sharpening. it's a pretty attractive combination.

My reason was that I wanted to prolong the edge on my main knife. As such, i bought the Havalon to use When i have to cut a lot of hair, or work against the bone. For example, skinning the head and working up around the base of the antlers. No matter how hard i try i always dull my knife against the bone there trying to get every bit of flesh/skin off. With a Havalon i don't have to worry at all. Just throw that blade out and i'm good to go.

Purchased a havalon this fall and gutted, quartered and skinned a moose using the same blade. The only limitation is the length of the blade. Works real well on cutting through the thick skin on a moose.

i also helped a friend butcher 7 pigs. One blade was all I needed.

I do not own one and never seen one used in person. I have looked at them in the store. When hunting I have 1 knife on me and 1 in my pack, and a small sharpener.

-I dont like the idea of relying on replacement blades.
    -I don't like the idea of breaking one off inside (can this happen) as mentioned earlier they look very light duty
    -I don't like the idea of now having to carry a few dull blades out of the bush after a job (do you carry them in another container-- how many guys pitch them in the bush??!!)
    -I do not like fixed blades (bad experiences with cheap ones not locking)
    -some models look very bulky
    - for camp work etc you still need to carry a heavier knife anyways

I could be totally off the mark with my opinion but I didn't want to waist money on the knife and a pack of blades to find out. I'll stick with my plane old fixed blades for now

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    I do not own one and never seen one used in person. I have looked at them in the store. When hunting I have 1 knife on me and 1 in my pack, and a small sharpener.

-I dont like the idea of relying on replacement blades.
    -I don't like the idea of breaking one off inside (can this happen) as mentioned earlier they look very light duty
    -I don't like the idea of now having to carry a few dull blades out of the bush after a job (do you carry them in another container-- how many guys pitch them in the bush??!!)
    -I do not like fixed blades (bad experiences with cheap ones not locking)
    -some models look very bulky
    - for camp work etc you still need to carry a heavier knife anyways

I could be totally off the mark with my opinion but I didn't want to waist money on the knife and a pack of blades to find out. I'll stick with my plane old fixed blades for now
    one blade lasts a heck of a long time, if you are bringing a few dull ones out after one or even two animals you did it wrong. We use the Havalon from start to finish, does s great job breaking quarters down.