Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on wolfdogs/wolfhybrids

thoughts on wolfdogs/wolfhybrids

wat r ur thoughts anyone have one?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: thoughts on wolfdogs/wolfhybrids

My uncle had one, 1/4 wolf - cool dog. You definitely had to let the dog know that you are the Alfa male.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Quote Originally Posted by keoke View Post
    My uncle had one, 1/4 wolf - cool dog. You definitely had to let the dog know that you are the Alfa male.
    Seen LOTS up north they are either REALLY good or REALLY bad. Like most dogs it depends a lot on their sire and dam and their owner. BUT that being said its my experience that reaction to treatment etc is magnified compared to a "dog dog"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Iron Noggin, on this site breeds them.
    not a dog for me but if it was i would be going Nog's way. I hunt tooo many birds to not have a Gun dog of some form or another.
    Last edited by 835; 05-07-2011 at 04:11 PM.

I know a few people with them and they require a little more time to train them cause of there nature if its a male get him neuterd right away to help with the dominance thing.

Had a bitch wolf for a few years. Awesome dog, extremely smart, athletic, tough, but it took a huge effort from me to get her trained, and it was a constant struggle to keep her in line. She liked to wander and chase game and I couldn't get her out of those habits, and I wouldn't own a dog who does that. Poor guard dog as well as she rarely ever barked. Keeping her on a run or fenced yard was no good, she'd get bored and destructive. They need to run, not just a few km walk and chasing a tennis ball, but take 'em out behind the sled or quad and run the ass off of 'em, if you can. She would have made an excellent pack-dog, but like I said she had some habits that weren't desirable.

Still was a pretty good dog and I liked her, but my rott/mastiff is a much better dog for my purposes.

had one about six years ago incredibly loyal very gentle but impossible to keep in the yard. Every chance he got he was off exploring, unfortunatley we lost him to a vehicle incident, We had a 6 foot solid wood fence with a half acre and he would pull the boards off, tried chain link he climbed it, chained to a run he cried, in the house for too long would pace. If i ever got another I would go chainlink with a top mesh or incline at least.

As a familly member amazing
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

High maintenance. Good if you keep them active and WITH YOU. Try to keep them locked up and you will end up with damaged stuff. I didn't have one, but the neighbor did. When he left the dog, it pulled everything off the cloths line. It had to be tied with steel chain, it chewed through cable, it chewed through the fence boards. it howled it's head off. I don't have anything against them, but if you don't keep it busy, it will find something to do on it's own............You probably won't like what it finds.
    I'm sure they have their good points, but.........................

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

I don`t like them, at all. Been a dog lover my whole life and my family bred dogs when I was young. Never saw a wolf dog till I came to BC. Every one I have ever met has been sketchy. I lived across from one for 4 years in Squamish and it was scary as hell. It would stare at you, no tail wag, no emotion, barely looked at the owner, even as a pup. They fed it raw meat in the carport(condo complex), usually a big chop of of some kind. It nipped several people as they walked by. The owner was in denial like most dog owners and refused to chain it or believe he was scaring anyone. I was waiting for the day when he was going to kill a kid. The condo corp. ordered the dog gone so the owner moved out instead of getting rid of him. Wolf dogs if you live in the country only! Just my 2 cents.

I like wildlife to stay wild. That's my view on "game" farms as well. As for love my winchesters point of view
    Replace wolf hybrid with long gun and you're ready to join the liberal party.