Thread: Bowfishing and spear fishing locations

Bowfishing and spear fishing locations

Hi there,
    I've recently come into possession of a spear gun and a bow set up for bow fishing, now I've done some reading and apparently the only thing you can spear is basically carp. Does anyone know of a location within a couple hours of Abbotsford as to what lake to go to with a lot of carp? I know the penticton area has a lot but 4 1/2 hours of a drive is a bit much for a day trip! Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bowfishing and spear fishing locations

I've arrowed carp under the Mission Bridge in the ponds on south side. Had a GVRD employee kick me out once but I think it's legal. I guess you'd need to really read into the regs better. What could be the concern with removing introduced fish from a pond within 100 metres of the largest salmon stream in British Columbia. I think I'd be doing the environment a favour.

Funny thing was that there was a Viet family walking by and they took my fish with them so I knew it wouldn't be wasted allthough I had planned for some fertilizer for the flower beds!
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

The best time to bow fish for carp is from late may to july when they school up in shallow, weedy areas. A small boat, canoe, pontoon boat, are a great asset but it can be done form shore. Carp are super spooky fish so you have to be very stealthy in your approach. Good polarized glasses really help.
    I have fished carp all my life, and in my opinion they taste great if they are from reasonably clean water. cut them into steaks, batter it up and fry it like you would fish and chips! yum! But they are full of small sharp bones! eat carfully. The most carp in the lower mainland are in the sumas river, but the water is extreamly dirty, dont eat them from there, the best place is in the bays down stream from the fish and game club, but you need a boat. other good bets are hatsic lake, and any sloughs that connect to the fraser between fort langley and chilliwack. By far the best carp fishing is in the okanagan in skaha, vaseauxe, and osoyoos lake. hope this helps.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Once the river starts to rise, most of the Fraser newly flooded side sloughs have carp. The Pitt Lake public march shallow sloughs have many, some huge. (used to follow them with a canoe to the shallow ends where they would bury their heads in the mud.....it was easy to feel with your hand, and grab them)