Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shooting a APA BOW

Re: Anyone shooting a APA BOW

I own the mamba 7.5 (2010) and compared it against the Viper side-by-side in the shop. I found it a smoother, more forgiving bow, faster too than the viper. Excellent wide range of draw length too if it's required. I shoot 31" and I think both models go beyond that even. Anyway, the (slightly) longer let-off valley and taller brace height of the mamba is what sold me. that and blazing speed of course. The only (very small) detractor is that it is a Canadian company... ie on hunting and range trips you'll need a set of imperial AND metric allen keys... hardly significant.. but it is something to remember. At any rate a 33" axel to axel length and HUGE forgiveness add up to a killer bow. After 5 years away from shooting and within only about 150 shots I'm easily getting 5" groupings at 50 yards. so it is accurate, fast, smooth, forgiving. all round great bow. Nibal (company founder/owner) is very friendly and helpful too.

I just shot my friends viper xl 35 and man.. it is soo smooth and light I couldnt help but drool at his while he drooled over my mamba m7
    Even the worst day of hunting will always be better than a day at home

I have a couple of days in with the King Cobra now and am very impressed so far.
    I have that 'Smilin' Bob' grin on my face when I am shooting it.

Cheers
    All the good lines are already taken

I just bought a Pit Viper about a month ago and I'm very happy with it. Nice and light, very smooth and quiet too. All the accessories are very useful on the bow as well. I would definitely recomend an Apa
    Brian011

Just purchased a APA King Cobra a month ago and don't have any issues. They are top heavy but as soon as you've drawn the bow everything is now a perfect balance.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

i have owned every APA bow except the King Cobra and loved them for a hunting bow, then i started to shoot an Elite Gt500, wow what a difference i found with the twin track binary cam systems, the mamba series use a true dual cam system which hasnt changed in years but is wicked fast and a bit harsh ,the twintrack cam system on the gt500 is as smooth as it gets and easy to tune with great speed, dead in hand and quiet at the shot, the finish on the APA is a water dipped or a anodized finish which isnt the most durable i have found, the GT500 was a colorfusion finish which i think is the most durable finish on the market and doesnt warp the camo pattern as it bends over the cutouts and curves of the bow. I have noticed lots of new bows have gone to the hybrid cam technology when they want to burn the paint off arrow at the shot, PSE, Hoyt, Strother and several others have there own versions of this cam system which will leave the old APA cams in the dust when it comes to speed, stealth, and dead in hand as a whole, nothing will leave the APA King Cobra in the dust for speed. Now this is only my opinion on the APA bows but encourage you to try them all and figure it out for yourself

I have two bows; an APA King Cobra and a PSE Axe 6. The nearest bow press is 5 hour drive away, when my Axe came back from the shop out of tune last month you can guess which one I am not using until I get out of town again.....for me the APA fits my needs and shoots well doing it.

The APA may not be using the newest technology cams, but makes a great overall hunting bow. One of the main things that caught my attention is the simplicity of the system; the ability to change the strings and cables without a press while on the top of a mountain, and to tune it if necessary there too.
    The newer binary and hybrid cams are more popular, maybe because they are a bit better, but definitely part in parcel of good marketing (like the new 'wonder rifle cartridges' that come out every year). They are a little quieter but the twin cam still holds its own.

They are all good bows these days, each will be a different match for different people and uses.
    Cheers

Ike has a good point on the camlock system of an APA for guys out of town and who dont have acces to a bow press, i have my own press and didnt think of that, point taken thanks

Bow Walker Guest

Ike - it'd pay for you to get some tools and know-how. Five hours is almost like a 2-dayer just to get some work done on your equipment.

Working on or tuning bows is really not that hard - especially if you're a detail orientated kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Ike - it'd pay for you to get some tools and know-how. Five hours is almost like a 2-dayer just to get some work done on your equipment.
    Working on or tuning bows is really not that hard - especially if you're a detail orientated kind of guy.
    It was more fun to buy the APA instead I agree and a proper press is in the works once I get some free $$. I know the basics of tuning (well enough to be dangerous anyway), and like to tinker. I have all the setup tools I need, with the exception of a press.

Cheers