Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22's an turkey's?????????

22's an turkey's?????????

Do many people go turkey hunting with there .22's? I'll be taking the 12 gauge but what do u think is a good shot# to take? I have a good assortment of #'s just curious as to the norm. as alway's any reply is appreciated!! but mostly just curious about the .22's we usually head shoot grouse so i'm just wondering if guy's do the same with turkey's.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 22's an turkey's?????????

A .22 bullet will penetrate a hogs skull, so the cartridge is capable. Rest is up to tthe gun and the shooter....
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

yup,,dont listen to anyone that say it wont penetrate, thats just BS, 5 years in a row killed a turkey one shot, drop. neck or head. I also know of lots of others that use the same 22 for turkeys and have never lost one.

.22's bounce off turkeys......
    Hopefully huntwriter will chime in,
    IRC I think he saw it happen

They penetration is not the problem. I've recovered birds in the past that have been shot by guys using .22s after the bird took flight jumping off the hillside. Not to mention the obvious danger when other hunters can be in such close proximity.

Oh! thats right, turkeys are bullet proof. only the ones with the kevlar gene though.WTF are you for real?

i know growing up i saw my dad shoot lot's of pig's with the .22 come butchering day!! i,ve also heard tales from the old boy's about them shooting a few deer back in the day.

my concern is the safety issue. It can get crowded out there and a lot of guys are bowhunting them, so they are close and camo'd well or in camo blinds. Some guys think that they can really reach out there with the rimfires. I've seen and heard of a few being wounded and getting away. It's like the guys say - depends on the shooter. I can name more than a few guys who have switched to shotguns. 12 ga. or 20 ga. with #4's - #6's will do the trick. I use 1 7/8 oz 3" magnum turkey loads in my 12 ga. and they still take a couple of shots sometimes.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

from g-bears to man, there is nothing that that walks earth that hasn't been killed by a 22. that doesn't mean you use a 22 to hunt grizzly does it? british columbia is the only place in north america that allows 22 for turkeys..............slow learners i guess?

Quote Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
    british columbia is the only place in north america that allows 22 for turkeys..............slow learners i guess?
    More than a few states allow rifles for turkeys.....Centerfire even......