Thread: Waterfowler Question

Waterfowler Question

Can any of you waterfowlers tell me the BEST way to remove ALL feathers from geese and ducks? Please dont say "skin them"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Waterfowler Question

dip them in boiling water was one trick that I was told, other then that just keep plucking and use a small pair of pliers to pull out all the pin feathers.

pluck pluck pluck pliers/tweezers which ever works for you while dipping in hot water
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

I pluck the breast feathers first on ducks or geese to see how many pellet holes there are. If it's shot up at all then I breast the meat out, steel shot and teeth are a bad mix. I've found that with geese if the feathers are really tough to pluck you're better to just cut the meat out and use it for jerky or grind it as it's probably an older bird and is going to be tough. Other than that pluck pluck.

After dipping them in hot boiled water for 20sec, rough pluck them then ....Parifin Wax! melt a pot of it and dip your bird in it, peel the wax off after its cure. Takes all the pin feather off and leaves you a clean bird. The wax can be melted and reused.
    Do Good ...and forget about it..

Grinder with a wire wheel
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin So View Post
    After dipping them in hot boiled water for 20sec, rough pluck them then ....Parifin Wax! melt a pot of it and dip your bird in it, peel the wax off after its cure. Takes all the pin feather off and leaves you a clean bird. The wax can be melted and reused.
    this

Lorne

Pluck the magogority of the large feathers the singe the remaining down and fluff off with a blow torch. You dont need to hold the bow torch very close, start far away then bring it close enough to burn away the feathers