Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sights and Rests (Compound Bow)

Re: Sights and Rests (Compound Bow)

OK so there are some pretty decent deals out there. 2 more questions for y'all.

The large sight or the small sight guard? I figured I would be using 5 pins as I did before, but what is the difference in the size of the sight guard?

Also who uses what for pin size? .010, .019, or .029? When I had my compound before I was using .019 and was happy, but is there a marked difference with small pins and further distances, or should one worry about that with 3D and targets only? I figured .019 would let in a good amount of light, while not covering the game too much.

I've heard of some using .019 for their top 3 and .010 for their bottom 2.
    "Know your Land, Know Your Prey" - Mantracker

"I still don’t know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel."Roderick Haig-Brown

www.nrgcbc.ca

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Sights and Rests (Compound Bow)

A thought on the size of the sight housing...

I have a Large sight guard on my Real Deal. I wish it was a Small sight guard. The Real Deal sight doesn't extend far enough away (out in front) of the riser so that the whole of the sight guard - or the sight ring - is easily visible through a medium-sized peep hole. I've had to go to a very large peep hole to get it all in.

Now a large peep hole isn't a problem - it lets in lots of light in mornings, evenings, and shaded situations - but I do wish that the sight could extend further. So I'd advise the Small Sight Guard when ordering.

As to pin size - an all around size is the .019" size. Good for hunting and good for 3D and Target. Some guys like the .010" for 3D and Target, but my old eyes can't see it all that well. I find that the .029" pins are just a bit too big for 3D and for hunting. That larger size tends to cover most of the kill zone when you're shooting out past 20 yards at 3D's and it definitely covers the 'X' on targets that are 20 yards and better away.

When the fibers are put into the holes of the pins and then melted to form the button (or mushroom) end that keeps them in the pin hole the resulting size is often bigger than the stated pin hole size. Does that make sense? I guess what I'm recommending is the .019" size for overall shooting situations.

Colors are purely personal. I have a .019" Blue fiber in my 3D/Target bow sight (it's a single pin movable sight) which is about 10 or 12 inches long to gather lots of light. I see that blue point point of light like it was a fire in the dark. I love it. Yet some other guys can't see it at all - or at least they see it as being pretty dim. Not me.

I'm going to be re-doing my hunting sight to incorporate the blue color into most of the pins. Alternating with Orange or maybe Green.