Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ranch NICE

Mystery Ranch NICE

Trying to keep up with all the cool guys on HBC, I ordered myself a NICE frame w/ 6500 bag and a Load Sling. Couple RipZip pockets, a water bottle holder and a Flip top box.

Next year I think I'll add a CrewCab

I couldn't find much negative stuff on the MR gear from all I read online in the past few days

Kraft Dinner and ketchup for lunch!
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mystery Ranch NICE

I ordered the 6500 in Jan in optifade just waiting for it to be made and shipped all the reviews were good. Ive gone through a eberlestock and a badlands so hopefully this pack is as good as the reviews.
    How many more sleeps till sheep season starts again

You will be happy with your pack!

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

I'm wondering how this pack is for hunting once you've unloaded all your camping gear?
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Trying to keep up with all the cool guys on HBC, I ordered myself a NICE frame w/ 6500 bag and a Load Sling. Couple RipZip pockets, a water bottle holder and a Flip top box.

Next year I think I'll add a CrewCab

I couldn't find much negative stuff on the MR gear from all I read online in the past few days

Kraft Dinner and ketchup for lunch!
    nice ..probably western family ketchup to boot...nice of ya to join us southerners in eating kraft dinner regularly lol
    Midnight toker

I'm wondering how this pack is for hunting once you've unloaded all your camping gear?
    kenny
    That's a good question... I find the outside pockets become useless once the bag is empty as you've got to strap everything down tight to prevent it from flopping around.... The spotter pocket for example. Once camp is setup most my gear goes into the main bag portion, and then I just strap the outside down tight. Small items can still go into the top two pockets as well.

When the bag is empty there are straps and buckles everywhere. They can all be rolled up and locked with their little velcro tabs but honestly it would take a guy 20 minutes to unravel it all each time you wanted into the pack... That's why I just cinch it down, tuck the straps in wherever and go.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Is there a system built into the pack to carry your rifle , or how do you carry your rifle on this pack.

Thanks Carl.
    I'm due for a new pack and thats my dilemma. I like a smaller pack for hunting. Ive been useing a freighter to haul everything and strapping my badlands 2200 onto it for hunting once I get camp set up. I'm sure it adds a few pounds. I just can't decide what pack to buy.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Devilbear Guest

I have never found anything better and only Dan McHale's custom packs from Seattle are as good...a little better in adjustablity while moving, but, the fullon larger ones are 2x the cost of the NICE.

I have had better service from Dana Gleason's packs since 1978 that any others and while I agree with Carl, there is nothing out there that will suit me better than the NICE OK frame and 6500 bag. For a working guide, I would go with the 7500 bag, but, there are always "downsides" to really large packs and one needs to think about what you are going to do with one, before choosing.

I often carry a 75 lb. sack of sand on my Loadsling on my original NICE Frame, among the very first shipped to BC and even at my age, this is comfortable, which is was not with both Kifaru packs I had or my Bullpac and others were even worse.

Good choice, Mark, you will enjoy this and it will last a long time.

Devilbear Guest

I have posted this here many times since I introduced the MR NICE to HBC and rifle carry is easy. Buy a Kifaru Combat Gunbearer and a few top straps plus a LONG universal waist strap attachment. Put it on, play with it for awhile and find the "sweet spot" for YOU when carrying your rifle, works well and is not that expensive.