Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: South Africa 2012

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

Re: South Africa 2012

Going to be very hot and dry that time of year. I can never get used to the dry air in SA, it gives me nose bleeds and headaches! It gets cold really quick after sundown too so pack more warm clothes than you would think you might need.
    My own view - dont choose your animals before you see them! There are so many species in SA hunting doesnt need to be very difficult unless you get fussy about what you want to shoot. FWIW I would take a black wildebeest over a blue or a hartebeest any day of the week (but if you want a black one I have a spare in my basement that I could be persuaded to part with).

If you hunt black wildebeest after you have been eyeing blues just make a note that they are half the size. I kept trying to get closer to the one I shot thinking that I was still quite a ways away. I was surprised
    when I walked up to it and it was so much smaller. Looking forward to seeing it in my trophy room soon as it is enroute from RSA as I type.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Thanks for all the tips. I have been so busy at work I have not had much time to do any planning. I will hit t hard this fall after I get some North American game on the ground. I can not wait. The more I see the zebra pedestal mounts, the more I think the wife is right. I should try to take one.

If you are planning to come through Ft. Nelson, let me know. In the taxidermy I got done, I did get zebra pedestal mount, in case you want to have a look.
    If you look at the cruiser safaris website link, in my previous post, check out accomodations photos. Then look in the bar and lounge area folder. This shows pictures of how a flat skin looks on the wall. I think flat skins are nice for the floor, they take up at least 4' X8' on a wall. It also shows a zebra pedestal mount, similar to to what I had done.
    My wife also influenced the decision to go for a zebra and do the pedestal mount.

My wife also "made me" shoot a zebra! It has made a great rug on the trophy room floor...
    Enjoy your hunt.

If a person did a head mount on a pedestal would there be much hide left to do a partial rug as well?

I had skin panels on the hexagonal pedestal, so that used up most of the back half. If you went with wood panels, the rear half of the zebra skin would still look good somewhere in the house.

I am also going to use some of the hide on the pedestal. I have decided they look the best with some of the hide on them. I guess an option would be to purchase a rug from a cull hunt. I am sure the PH or taxidermy could let me know if there is a half decent small rug available??? Then again if I do not shoot it then not sure if I want it bought home. I would never do that in North America so why in SA?

Just to tease you a little my trophies from 2009 were put on the wall 2 days ago. I'll take some pictures and post them later.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    Just to tease you a little my trophies from 2009 were put on the wall 2 days ago. I'll take some pictures and post them later.
    Yes please do!!!