Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: South Africa 2012

South Africa 2012

Guess I am off to SA in 2012. Have not firmed up the dates yet but it will be early spring 2012. Got a little too into the fund-raiser in Feb and bought a hunt for two in South Africa.

4 animals are included....Gemsbok, Springbok, Blesbok and duiker. I am adding a Kudu and impala for sure and of course a good warthog if the tusks are decent. After that I am not sure what else. The wife wants me to take a zebra no matter what but I am not convinced yet. Although I have heard they can be hard to hunt and are tough as nails. I am thinking maybe blue wildebeest or maybe a red hardebeest. But if I take a good blue wildebeest then maybe I need a black one to mount with it.

I have no idea how I am going to decide what to add on but I know it will be tough not to take a few extras if flying all that way.

I am thinking of using the PH's gun as we are planning on a few stop overs and sight seeing while on this trip so taking my own rifle is not an option. I know people who have been there with this guide and his guns are great.

We are bringing our wives for this trip of a lifetime so I also plan to take 2 days/nights at a game reserve as well.

I am open to any tips on gear, clothes etc. as I have no idea what to pack. Also what is a good idea to bring for tips for the helpers...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: South Africa 2012

Are you going with Bertus?
    Should have a good time!
    Have fun and good luck!
    PM me if you need more info...

Quote Originally Posted by BCRiverBoater View Post
    what is a good idea to bring for tips for the helpers...
    They need cash like all the rest of us. Knives, boots & binos are appreciated but they need $$ to buy gas and food too. Your PH will help you figure it out. Don't forget your cooks too. Great food can make or break a safari.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Get yourself a set of safari gaiters! Best 20 bucks you'll spend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112445.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	3393

Also pick up a copy of The Perfect Shot. Shot placement is different on some African game. And yes, hunt zebra. Fantastic hunt and fantastic meat!

You're going to love your hunt! Read as many stories as you can so you know what to expect and what you should bring. I would also use the PH's guns. Know what animals you want and what it will cost all toll before you start pulling the trigger. It starts out cheap and then it really adds up quick. I would make at least a month of it. Africa is amazing in so many senses. When in 2012?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

I'm thinking to drop a deposit on a very similiar package today.
    http://africanphotographicsafaris.co...t_id=15&pid=11
    Like yourself,I'm looking to add a gemsbok and wildebeest.
    Good call on the cooks there David.
    Seems there are plenty of people to tip,ph,trackers,cooks,any others?
    What kind of tips are we talking,$'s or % of hunt.I assume the ph would receive the largest tip?
    Again like yourself,I'm looking to use the outfitters firearms.

tip amoint is up to you !
    but consult your outfitter on how much is apropiate for cooks,trackers,gun bearers.
    as the pay is low in south africa and if people start throwing around 100,s of $$$
    it can upset the balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    I'm thinking to drop a deposit on a very similiar package today.
    http://africanphotographicsafaris.co...t_id=15&pid=11
    Like yourself,I'm looking to add a gemsbok and wildebeest.
    Good call on the cooks there David.
    Seems there are plenty of people to tip,ph,trackers,cooks,any others?
    What kind of tips are we talking,$'s or % of hunt.I assume the ph would receive the largest tip?
    Again like yourself,I'm looking to use the outfitters firearms.
    Deposit has been made!

Yes it is with Bertus. I know a lot of people from around town who have been hunting with him. I have been reading on shot placement and it definitely is different. I will be going over that with the PH before taking my first shot. We are heading out in the spring of 2012, just have not booked the exact dates yet. With our schedules at home it is not leaving open too many options. I was thinking of taking some knives with me for some of the guys. I know cash is not the best to throw around except with the ph. I will be talking to him about what the trackers and cooks would like etc.

What area is the hunt to take place? That affects the species available, as well as what attractions are nearby, unless you are willing to build in travel days inside the country.
    My wife and I went to South Africa in Aug.2008, flying AC from Calgary to Frankfurt( redeye flight) and wandered around the airport until the redeye SAA flight to Johannesburg.I found this helped adjusting to the different time zone. If you are buying economy seats, look into using points to upgrade to business/first class.
    We stayed at Afton Guest House( recommended by our Outfitter http://www.cruisersafaris.com) near the airport, booking day trips and tours through them.Sterkfontein caves, Cullinan diamond mine are both near JBG, and easily done in one day total. We then went to Kruger park for 3D/2N, staying at a lodge just outside the park. Back to Afton house to meet the other hunters in our group and head out the next morning.
    This was relaxing and allowed us to fully adjust to the new time zone, while seeing other parts of a beautiful country.
    Practice shooting off sticks, my PH used Bog pods, standing and kneeling. The previous recommendation of getting the Perfect Shot book is spot on. I used that book and had one animal in ten go more than 25 yds. The other 3 hunters in camp all lost one animal ($), due to incorrect shot placement.
    We hunted in the Limpopo province, the package was for six animals( southern greater Kudu, gemsbok, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, Blesbok),I planned for two extra( Waterbuck, bushbuck) ended up shooting four extra( Waterbuck, Red Hartebeest, Warthog #2, Zebra).
    My wife and I had an awesome trip, three of the four hunters in camp brought their wives , and the whole group got along very well.
    My trip report is on Cruiser's website under newsletter, 2008, August.
    I found a lot of very useful info on http://www.accuratereloading.com