Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the total value of the gear you wear and bring on a day hunt

Re: What is the total value of the gear you wear and bring on a day hunt

Who cares????

If I put a price on my gear for hunting and fishing, I would probably end up in a white padded room.......

We have to spend our $$$ because we cannot spend it in a 6' box, so we might as well spend it on something you love to do.....

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Frango View Post
    Wow 200 on underwear?.Have you been ordering from Victoria Secret again?
    200 is relatively cheap depending on where you are. You don't want to see the money I spent on thermals when I was working outside in the winter in the Yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    SG,
    I have hunted in this great province for 30 years now. I have killed a ton of critters for the freezer and have killed a bunch of trophies to boot. Not once has a big buck got away from me because I had cheaper B&L binos versus Swaro or Leicas. You can put good glass in the average hunter's hands and they will never ever see the difference. What pisses me off on this site is when the dick waggers start on how only real hunters use this or that glass and how you have to re-mortgage the house and not send your kids to college so you can pay for it. The average Joe doesn't need it and the average Joe can easily hunt without all the trappings that has been listed in this thread. Lots of new hunters get on this site and when they see threads like this and they suddenly are discouraged because they don't have all these things that are 'said' to make you a successful hunter. All you need is an old rifle, a box of ammo, a knife and some determination and you will have the time of your life. Get caught up in the latest gear fads and you will find you will spend way more time working to pay for them than you will using them. "Keep it simple Stupid" goes a long ways when it comes to being successful.
    How do you know what animals you've missed had you had better glass. If you didn't see them then in your eyes you haven't missed any.

bow-750
    arrows-70
    broadheads-50
    release-60
    camo jacket-100
    camo pants-100
    vortex rangefinder-400
    vortex binos-500
    grunt tube-35
    hiking boots-200
    hat-10
    treestand-90
    kernshaw knife-50
    trail cams-150 (x4). (600)
    wind checker-5
    scent block-15
    doe urine-15
    pack-100
    gillie suit-50
    misc-150

and do you know what that $3350 then gets me?? that's right... a 1k whitetail mount!! it ain't a cheap sport fellas, but I love it! and I would buy all that stuff over again in a heartbeat.
    PSE,
    29 1/2"
    splittin' arrows

What gets me is guys spend this kinda juice on a hunt and still shoot federal blue box......."45 bucks for a box of shells thats hiway robbery."

Have been out a few times so far for this blacktail archery season. Got one deer so far, last Friday the 4th. Here's the rundown:
    Silver Adidas track pants: $20
    Random Old Navy t-shirt: $10
    Black and white Adidas sneakers: $40
    Mismatched socks: ~$0.50
    Costco underwear: $2.00 (rip-off; they ride up like crazy)
    PSE bow: $300
    Wal-mart Carbon Express arrow: $10
    Canadian Tire random brand broadhead: $9
    Buck knife: $60
    Sharpener I stole from the kitchen cupboard: $8
    My wife's backpack that I use so I don't get blood on mine: $75
    Leftover game bags that a guy left in my pack from a hunt last year: $0
    Total: $534.50

Getting up at 5:30am, hiking 6 km in the clothes you wore the day before, arrowing a deer in time to get it skinned, quartered, and packed back to the car, driving it home, and still managing to be on time for work: Priceless.

B.S. thread mostly. Most people don't need $6000 in pamper clothes to enjoy a good day if hunting. Christ, imagine if our grandfathers saw some of the ridiculous shit people buy to shoot a deer.

It's not a cheap sport, but like most things the barrier to entry can still be pretty low. Compared to things like: skiing, golf, fishing (with a boat), etc, it's not stupidly expensive.

I know a guy who collects rare sports cars (ok he is a neurosurgeon, so his income is a little higher than the rest of us), so I always compare my hobbies to his and instantly feel better about my hobby spending...

Id rather not add it up but if someone wants to spend thousands on what he/she loves doing who cares! And yes, I wear 80 dollar underwear.

If I add up all my gear, guns, cams etc it would get expensive but for stuff I take out in the bush on a day hunt it's pretty darn cheap. What I bring varies trip by trip and season by season, but around 1k on a "typical" day trip. Lets see:

Savage Axis XP 30-06 and scope: $350
    Binos: $120
    Backpack ($50 or $120 depending on trip)
    Knives ($75-125 depending)
    Shooting stick: $15
    Game bag: $12
    Bear spray: $35
    Headlamps: $25 or $50 (if I bring 2)
    Clothes: ($150-250 depending on trip)
    Boots: $100
    Camera: $90
    Rope/Lighters/Compass/Survival odds ans ends: $100
    Tablet if I'm checking cams: $50
    GPS (if I bring it): $150
    Air horn (if i bring it): $20

Too early to add all that up but I'd say just under $1000 on an average day and $1000-1300 if I bring the kitchen sink. Most of these things I have had for many years. I can see how it would go up when you get into expensive binos, range finders, scopes for 400 yard shots and what not. I hunt Region 2 timber 90% of the time so anything to see or shoot over 150 yards is pretty much useless to me. Depends what you hunt and how you hunt it. To each their own. Happy opening day! Hoping to see some bucks down from hunters all around, doing what we do no matter how (and with what gear) it gets done!!

Interested in this $80 underwear though. I'm a joe boxer brief kinda guy but $80 it better interface with bluetooth on the smart phone, have a massage button and a gas filter. New thread for pics of this super fly hunter ginch. The HBC Vicotria Secret!! Haha or maybe not
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-10-2015 at 08:01 AM.