Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Elk sighting

First Elk sighting

Saw these while out and about at weekend. First elk I have seen. No bears about yet and what surprised me more was that I didn't see a single deer in 6 hours of looking.

There were 17 cows and 1 bull - magnificent fella, he was.

Life often delivers what you need but rarely what you want.

It doesn't matter where you come from, it only matters where you go
    No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do. ~ Frank Turner

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Elk sighting

Nice Pic!
    Are these the first you have seen ever?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Nice Pic!
    Are these the first you have seen ever?
    "face-to-face", yes - the very first ones. But then, I've only been in Canada 2 months so I guess I'm not doing too bad.

The pic leaves a lot to be desired - all spare cash is getting diverted to the firearms fund so there is nothing left in the pot for a decent lens to get really good shots at distance. I bought a cheap zoom lens and it shows in the detail on the original.

I remember you not being here long, Thats why i asked!
    good to see some wildlife eh! Start getting your fly gear togeather because the season is comming fast!

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    I remember you not being here long, Thats why i asked!
    good to see some wildlife eh! Start getting your fly gear togeather because the season is comming fast!
    I speant then last two weekends camping up a at Kissenger Lake. Did alot of walking on the surrounding gated roads. Saw three nice bull elk on Sunday and my first bear of the season, a small skinny bear last weekend.

Nice, I havn't seen any since I left Manitoba. Their thick as rabbits over there. I know it's not but : almost kinda looks like a bear sneaking up beyond them along the far tree line. If you stare at that brown spot long enough, it'll look like something. How far away from them were you? Thanks for sharing with us.

Quote Originally Posted by knighthunter View Post
    Nice, I havn't seen any since I left Manitoba. Their thick as rabbits over there. I know it's not but : almost kinda looks like a bear sneaking up beyond them along the far tree line. If you stare at that brown spot long enough, it'll look like something. How far away from them were you? Thanks for sharing with us.
    It was definitely a stump; wife REALLY wanted to see a bear but she'll have to wait a week or two longer. I know what you mean though. I was about 250m away at a guess. They spooked and started running when I got to about 150m in the truck.

Gets me thinking a bit. Fast forward to 2012 and I'm on my first hunt and I come across these during the hunting season. Temptation would be to slot the bull but with 17 cows, surely it is better to drop one of them? Forgive the noob question; I guess this is why I could do with a mentor.

Then, how the devil do you get the carcass out of there? If I'm alone, no way I'm going to be lifting it. If I have a quad then I guess I could drag it but isn't that going to knacker up the carcass over that clearcut? Even then, when I've dragged it to the truck, how do I get it in? Quarter it in the field? I know that I'd field dress it there and then but do you butcher it there and then too? So much I've yet to learn...

On the Island those elk are only open via Limited Entry. And some guys have been trying for 20+ years for the magical ticket with never having been drawn.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

But................ during hunting season I have MANY times found deer feeding very close to the elk. So if you come across these guys during hunting season look long and hard all around. Also these deer here can be amazingly hard to spot. Go slow and use binoculars LOTS. Its so easy to drive or walk right past them and they are famous for letting you do it.

A deer bedded down near the top of the picture that you posted, up by the tree line.... would be virtually invisible unless you were looking very hard.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it