Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon Image Stabilization Binoculars....opinions??

Re: Canon Image Stabilization Binoculars....opinions??

Well, Amazon has them for $1100 or so, and they are a bit heavy...but I do have some good 8 power binos that I carry if I'm doing a lot of hiking. From what I hear the optics are good, not on the level of Swaro and Leica, but the IS reduces eye strain as Mark said...and without the slight shake of regular 10X binos you can spot things like antlers behind brush that you'd miss with normal binos. Mark, the new 10X42s, at least the ones I saw at Cabelas and Amazon(best price), were waterproof...and I'd prefer that anyway as they're not dirt cheap at just over $1100. The 10X is definitely the way to go over the 15X as the higher power ones don't have the low light ability of the 10X and aren't waterproof. Now I'll have to try a pair and compare them to standard good quality binos and see if the IS is worth it. Ciskman, you don't find the IS binos' elimination of shake a big bonus to seeing clearly?
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotneeded View Post
    Ciskman, you don't find the IS binos' elimination of shake a big bonus to seeing clearly?
    From a plane absolutely it helps, but they have never even crossed my mind for being suitable for hunting. Bulky and the glass isnt that great and honestly even with the stabalization on their still is some movement. Id invest in a great set of binos and a tripod instead, but thats just me. I know a tripod wont really help if your spot and stalking but in this scenario I think the stab binos would be a pain anyways.

Im not trying to talk you out of them, Im just giving you my experience and thoughts. Have you been able to get a pair in your hands yet?

I'm thinking they'd be good for when you get to the top of a ridge, you're looking over the other side, and
    you've got the shakes a bit from the effort...that sort of idea. So the glass isn't very good...is it similar to
    a Nikon Monarch or something like that, a $250 bino, or a bit better? I'm in Kelowna so I'll be stopping in
    Kerrisdale Cameras next time I'm down in Van... I do appreciate your ideas! So you're thinking a pair of
    Zeiss Conquests instead?
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!