Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP)

Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP)

I have a new pair of Lowa Pro Tibets and the care instructions say to use leather impregnation after cleaning and a wax based shoe care cream regularly.

I just got a jar of Obenauf's LP, Deavilbear and Carl swear by this stuff.
    My question is, will the Obenauf be all I need or do I still need another product to impregnate the leather?

Also should I take some of this wax along on one or two week trips to reapply it in the field?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP)

I don't know about the Lowa boots specifically but the Obenaufs is all I've needed on my Kenetreks. You can use a bit of heat and make it really permeate the leather and then do a second application. I've never needed to reapply in the field and the last two week hunt I did was a wet one. There's no harm bringing it though if you're not backpacking.

Here is the care sheet i just got with my Meindles.Where did you get the Obenaufs?

BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

You have to order Obenhaufs heavy duty LP direct from their website (Google Obenhaufs) there are no dealers that I am aware of.

It's been really good to my boots.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Thanks for the info guys.

I got it direct from Obenhauf's website. With shipping it came out to US$18.

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?r...&product_id=30

looks like you can get it through Cabelas
    Last edited by Buck; 04-02-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Lots of retail outlets in the States sell it

Viberg's in the black tub is supposed to be made by Obenauf. I've used it and it is good.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."

Devilbear Guest

I first introduced Obenauf's to HBC a few years ago and Carl was among the first guys to ask about it and try it; he found, it seems, as I have that no other goop of it's type is quite as good. Meindl wax is very similar and the instructions they give on boot care are pretty much what I have done for decades. I buy expensive boots, use them hard and look after them and it pay's off in long use and comfort.

On SOME lighter boots, made with Gore-Tex liners and combined fabric and split leather, the Granger's and Nicwax products will also ,work fairly well and Obenauf's is not the ideal product for this one use, however, for most leather boots, it is superior to any other I have found.

One note of caution here, you will sometimes see poster(s) on some sites of this type ranting away about using pure beeswax as a waterproofer for boots. This often comes from the type of "expert" who has several thousand posts per year on one forum, so, gawd knows when such know-it-alls ever actually get outside..........but, while this does work for full grain leather, Norwegian or Littleway sewn boots, it can and will ruin most boots made today due to the heat needed to melt the wax and soak it into the leather and, thus, unless you KNOW what you are doing, it is best avoided. I have done it, but, years ago and I would not subject any of my highend and custom boots to this level of heat, regardless of who made them.....a number of custom boot makers I have discussed this with have agreed with me, for whatever that is worth to anyone.
    Last edited by Devilbear; 04-03-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ytlogger View Post
    Viberg's in the black tub is supposed to be made by Obenauf. I've used it and it is good.
    I believe you're right, they sure look the same.